*NO* Mega Man 2 'Wily's Revenge'

Liontamer

SB-Trance

hawaiimannen@hotmail.com

www.ctgmusic.com/sbtrance

Megaman 2 (Wily's stages 1/2)

-> "Wily's Revenge" originally by Ogeretsu (?)

link:

Greetings, SB-Trance.

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman2.zip - Track 19 ("Dr. Wily 1")

It's a perfectly reasonable trance adaptation, and enjoyable to listen to, but doesn't get particularly interpretive with the source melodies. Some melodic interpretation would have been good as well. This is produced fairly well, but the beatwork feel too static; you could get more intricate with that over the long haul. The bassline could use some more meat, but that wasn't a dealbreaker.

At least from a production and texture standpoint, this was pretty promising. I feel like there could have been more touches here to give this track a significantly more dynamic and interpretive edge. Once things got going with the melody, it was too paint-by-numbers. More dynamic instrumentation and more involved/personalized interpretation of the source would bring this arrangement to that next level. Hope to hear more from you.

NO

Interesting synth/processing choices for the intro... not quite what I would expect. The beat that comes in after unfortunately is not as sharp, with a sort of muddy/overly loud kick that is a bit distracting. Tone down the reverb on it and drop it maybe 3-5db and I think it will sound much better. Overall I feel like the intro is a bit too long, taking 1:39 to get to the "good stuff" - I would say reduce the length of it, or build up the soundscape more so it's more interesting to listen to.

The track kind of feels low energy at times, and the transitions between the different melodies of the Wily theme are kind of awkward and sudden. Plus the soundscape does not change much throughout the course of the track, which is really not good. There's no breakdown where you can play with and rework the sounds. The ending is also lackluster. I agree with Larry overall. This needs more interpretation. Change the chords more, add original harmonies, vary the melody up, add new material, just be creative. As a (roughly) 1:1 trance adaptation it's not bad but it's not up to OCR standards yet.

Listen to some more recent bLiNd mixes to get a general idea of what we expect for trance music here.

NO

• 2 months later...

Production is quite good, although I think that the synths themselves need something to make them sound more interesting, some modulation or effects to add some variation as the song progresses. There is no ambient part as such to this, it has a club like vibe which is suggested by the kick drum. However, a lot more needs to be going on with the synths as I already said to add to that energy, because they are not very engaging at the moment.

The main issue here is the arrangement. This is a tranced up version of the source, but there isn't anything really different here. No new chords or melodies. For this to be OCR quality, it would definitely need some original material added in. I think this needs to be reworked, it definitely has potential.

NO (Good candidate for resubmission)