Lookin' for a little help a new remixer.

The remix I wanna do isn't about video games, but this is the only remix site I know of. Basically I have a Performance Final for my College class "Outcasts and Misfits" and I wanted to Remix the prelude to the Musical Sweeney Todd. Make it more Rock, then play guitar over the remix. The problem is I never really did this before and I'm having difficulty so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with it. I looked around the Tutorial section but it didn't really help.

I play electric guitar mostly, an ESP AX-50, I've been playing for about a year or a little more. I feel I'm a decent player, but I've never played in front of a crowd so I dunno how I'll deal with that, but for the guitar part once I was comfortable with the remix I was going to call my old guitar teacher and see if he could assist with the creation and learning of my guitar part.

There are three primary to consider if you're talking about doing a remix.

1. You have to determine how closely you want to stick to the original chords, harmonies, rhythms, and melodies of the original piece. Are you going to add a new intro and ending? Add solos? Change the chord progression, or even the overall style (dark -> happy, happy -> dark).

2. You have to decide what the instrumentation of YOUR version will be, as compared with the original.

3. You need to figure out the technical means of recording and producing your version. This may involve hardware, software, or both. eg. Are you going to record everything live at once, do overdubs, use MIDI drums/bass, etc?

Try to answer some of these questions first.

As far as the original chords, harmonies, rhythms, and melodies go those would prolly be the most changed as its like a church-y sounding songs with an organ as the main instrument, but I wanna make it rock. I'm going to keep it dark, (If you don't know Sweeney Todd like to kill people after cutting their hair and the song lets you know that) as far as the lyrics go, I'm no singer so I was either considering keeping them intact or removing them completely and trying to have someone else probably my cuz replace them. the song has this loud like industrial whistle in it I definitely wanted to incorporate it into the song in some way. I was consider adding a Solo, but I only know a Am Pentatonic scale and I don't know how good of a soloer I am so I'm still questioning that.

I don't get what you mean with #2, like instruments used? If so, Guitar(Me), Drums, usual rock instruments.

I'm gonna have the Remix recorded with the lyrics, then create and memorize the Guitar part and play that over the Remix during my performance.

It will definitely require software, I have a Demo of Sony Acid Pro, Audacity, and I used to have Fruity Loops I'm going to see if I can get that back.

If I can't salvage the lyrics I'll need a mic, but I should be able to take care of that hopefully.

I need to do everything soon cause I present sometime in the next 2 weeks; I was trying to use Acid, but it just confused me.

If you're looking to get a program to make this remix in, I recommend FL Studio. All DAWs (digital audio workstations) have some learning curve, but FL's one of the easiest to learn. It comes with decent synths for a rock instrumentation (Slayer, BooBass, FPC..) and plenty of help documentation, but it's gonna run you $99.