*NO* Pokémon Red Version 'Basement Funk'

Liontamer

Hi, this is my second attempt with the Team Rocket source, and I figured Id go with producing more of a groove with it. Ive focused on making the mix more cohesive than my previous stuff....well, here it is:

Contact Info

Remixer Name: Dr. Rod

EMail Address: LightningRT@gmail.com

User ID: 19945

Source Info

System: Game Boy

Game: Pokemon R/B/Y

Song: Team Rocket Hideout

Remix Info

Remix Title: Basement Funk

Lots of thick sounds, not much cohesion between the instruments and drums. You have some interesting ideas. I liked what you did around 2:10. If it was produced better that'd probably come across sounding pretty neat.

As it is though, you have a funky (but LOUD) groove, and not much else going on around it. Needs much more work.

NO

No submissions should be over 192kbps, so please do not submit something at 207kbps.

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/pokemonb.zip - Track 36

Wow, that's an ugly source tune, I'll say. Interested to see where you go with it. ... Redux.

The sound quality was half decent; you've got some meat on the individual sounds, but the texture's still empty. Mallet percussion at :08 sounds a bit flimsy. Synth lead at :18 is barren and ugly on its own. Heh, nice Genesis-style stuff from :25-:27 with the throwback sounds.

What the hell is the deal from 1:51-2:01; there's nothing happening, bro. Piano chords starting at 2:18 were definitely swanky (though overly quantized), but the piano chords bled into the mallet percussion (gonna assume vibes), so you need to pay more attention to EQing to separate the parts.

The textures here aren't nearly complex enough. The percussion grooves change on occasion, but they generally just drag on with repetition and don't effectively drive the arrangement forward. The composition here's simply not sophisticated and the sounds don't fill up the space well at all, both in the foreground and background. The arrangement drags pretty substantially as a result. Just keep on trying to improve, bro.

NO