Contact Info

* Showty

* Dana Short

* Shortstuff71@columbus.rr.com

ReMix Info

* Mega Man IV

* Citadel (Dr. Cossack) stage 1

* http://members.fortunecity.com/kane5000/cs1and2.mid

* For some reason, no one likes this song. I wish I knew why but I’ve always liked this song and so I decided to try and create a remix of it. Besides conserving the original melody, all additional parts of this song are new. This includes an obvious re-organization of the song and the addition of musical segments. This includes a harmonization of the original melody. I’ve played the piano since I was in kindergarten and I’ve become very good with improvising and composing. If you don’t remember, the first stage takes place in the snowy outskirts of the Citadel grounds. I guess that ice, snow, and Russians remind me of the Nutcracker. This explains the fast-paced “sugar plum fairy” electronic style here (that doesn’t mean it’s cheezy). I also have learned that when dealing with winter-related music, dark bass, lots of reverb and staccato are the way to go. If there is one thing that I am worried about, it is that I used Fruity Loops to make this mix. I really don’t like how a lot of the music created using that program sometimes gets a MIDI feel to it so I tried incredibly hard to avoid that. Whether you think this is OC worthy or not, thank you for your time and criticism.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman4.zip - Track 9 ("Dr. Cossack Stage 1")

Yeah, I remember this track. SgtRama did a cool WIP mix of it for the Fresh Baked Remix Competition 1 back around '03 that made me familiar with the original. Let's see how you did.

What immediately struck me was that the beatwork in the back was really simplistic & flimsy and the writing was generically structured, which bogged down the entire arrangement. Nothing like thin, generic-sounding beats & claps and vanilla boom-tss patterns on complete cruise control to make something sound too beginner-ish right out of the gate. Hopefully you're not cycling through a bunch of preset loops. In any case, layer up your percussion tracks for a richer feel that fills out the background more, and go for more creative writing/patterns.

Melodically the track is pretty thin. The countermelody on bassline (prominent from 1:03-1:17) wasn't much of a factor. You definitely could have used the meat that the bass provided for the rest of the track. Things finally bolstered up around 1:31 with some additional writing under the melody, but it played a pretty minor part.

1:57 stuck with the verbatim treatment of the melody while throwing in some original stuff on top. The melodic textures still sounded really thin; you need more density here via addition parts. You really gotta give the actual MM4 source tune melody some actual interpretation; you usually play it way too straight and hope that your embellishments will personalize the approach enough, which they don't.

Needs more interpretation, more work put into the percussion, and more instrumental depth before this would even be in remotely decent shape. What's in place is at a very work-in-progress level.

NO

oh boy....extended hi-hat intro..always a good sign of things to come. and Dr. Cossack slowly fades in. wow...it never really fades all the way in. There's a good deal of energy missing where the drums and low-mid frequencies ought to be. you really need to fill out the spectrum in a huge way.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

this really needs

1) a kick drum that i can hear

2) a bassline that i can hear

Not a bad try, but your mixing is pretty bad, bro. The bass is buried and the hat and melodic synths are all you can hear.

We're also looking for a little more interpretation on the arrangement end.

If you want this on the site you're going to need to put a lot of work in.

NO