Hotel Dusk: Room 215 WIP

Jaybell

Hotel Dusk is an awesome game. Why haven't you played it yet? I heard the track that plays whenever you talk to Mila, and was instantly enamored. Since not a lot of people have played this game, I will give you the source tune, right here.

Isn't it haunting?

Anyways, I goofed around in Modplug Tracker and came up with this WIP.

BEHOLD!

And when I say WIP, I really mean WIP. At this point, it's really just a bag of ideas. The individual sections I'm sort of proud of, but as a whole the song is still very very sketchy. The music box section sounds very rigid and I probably won't include it in the final version.

I'd like this to become something great, but I really don't know how to make that happen. Comments, feedback, and the like, again, are all greatly appreciated.

PS: Can anyone come up with a better name than "The Osterzone Connection"?

Hey there, Zephyr here, just letting you know that I've never done a re-mix in my life, so if you'd like just disregard anything I say, but here are my opinions-

So far I really like the beginning section. I love the music box section and think it should stay, but it's definitely missing something, maybe cello or violin, but at the very least after one round of the music box, have the music box continue for another round DURING the following melody, then have it fade out like you did, I think the music box and that melody would do very nicely together.

As for a name, I have no Idea, how about "musical mystery"

Good call on the fading thing, I think for the most part everything you changed ended up for the better. I almost think you got rid of the clickiness with the music box a little too much, it sounds less real now. Sorry to criticize everything you do, but hey, that's what you're here for right?

Good call on the fading thing, I think for the most part everything you changed ended up for the better. I almost think you got rid of the clickiness with the music box a little too much, it sounds less real now. Sorry to criticize everything you do, but hey, that's what you're here for right?

I understand that I'm sort of sacrificing the realism of the music box, but the clicking gets annoying after a while, so I axed it. I think you're right, though, I took off a bit too much. If I can just get the right amount off, it'd be PERFECT.

Now the question is, where do I go from here...

Doing this really opens your eyes to the amount of work and such that goes into these! I have a new level of respect for all these remixers.

Well, one thing I'm noticing is that with the transition to the music box and the one before that, both times it almost totally cuts out and starts again, this is often perfectly fine for mixes that have a lot of power and drive because they start right into it all at once, but since it cuts out, then starts into a music box, it seems weak. It's hard to think of where to go from there, it's such a mellow song, most of my thinking is done around rock and techno. You could try some cello for a nice touch in the bass spectrum, there's a bit of a lack for bass so far. Uuhhhhhh... maybe an organ synth or some piano? A light synth might be a nice touch, as for continuing with the melody I'm not sure, maybe arppegiate something... Good luck wherever it goes though.

Hey look what I found.

Apart from the name change (from "The Osterzone Connection" to "Right Angel"), other things have been added, like a final section that sounds a lot like the first, but in double time. This is perhaps the last update I will do to it maybe, I think I've taken the source all over the place and there's not much else I can really do with it. Apart from maybe minor production things, fixing some transitions, maybe, (that one before the final section sounded good on paper, buuuut...) apart from all that, this is done.

EDIT: I made a few tweaks and am prepared to submit it. Wish me luck.

Great update, I think you cleaned it up pretty nice, I definitely like the first transition better, I think now there are overall too many times in the song with fade outs and fade-ins. I like the song a lot though. However I'd recommend taking out the double-time part, this song is a nice pretty slow song, seems really out of place to tack that on there. I'd recommend submitting it and asking for lots of constructive criticism, don't expect to get the song on the first time you submit it, run in past djp see what he says then spend a while working with that. Oh, and listen to your music box part through again, at 2:22 and 2:35 and 2:48 there's a bad note in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! I love Hotel Dusk. I've beaten it twice and playing it through for a third time. My favorite songs are Secrets and The Last Sleep. I can't wait to hear it! Pm me the link when you're finished, please! It'd be much appreciated since I love the game and it's music. I'm actually thinking of making a combination of the two songs. Since I can't put the songs in mp3 format, I'll see if I can mail one of my albums (1 finished, 1 in the works) to Nintendo Power or something^^:-P

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Secret's Music, but there seems to be some kinda problem. It's either my Computer or the track itself. It seems to play halfway through, then goes back to the beginning but it's still in it's right timing

I love the Secret's Music, but there seems to be some kinda problem. It's either my Computer or the track itself. It seems to play halfway through, then goes back to the beginning but it's still in it's right timing

That's a Google Pages error that's plagued a lot of the Google-hosted submissions in the past couple of weeks. I think GP fixed the problem, but any corrupted files would need to be reuploaded.