*NO* Hotel Dusk: Room 215 'Right Angel'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: Jaybell

Userid: 20622

Game: Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Song Remixed: Secrets

Remix Name: Right Angel

System: Nintendo DS

Composer: Satoshi Okubo, Yuhki Mori (These guys were credited with the sound, so I'm assuming at least one of them helped out with the music.

Link to Song Remixed:

Link to the Remix Itself: http://brainwashingdirtbike.googlepages.com/RightAngel.mp3

(Note Regarding Links: I've heard some bad things about googlepages. I haven't had any trouble yet, but just in case the links decide to stop working, then please let me know. PM me or something.

Also, if this gets rejected from the panel, please leave the links up for all to see.)

Comments: Well, my last song got instant rejected within the hour of submitting it, so let's hope this one does a bit better. :P

Too many people I know are approaching Hotel Dusk with an attitude of "moer liek hotel suck amirite". They are missing out on an amazing game. The music is relatively meh, with the exception of the song "Secrets". It's so haunting. (Maybe you heard it; it was in pretty much every promo for the game, ever.) So I sat down with Modplug Tracker, and came out with this song. It's probably quite reflective of my short attention span, since it jumps from this to that to the other and back to this. Or maybe it doesn't and I'm making this all up in my head, WHO KNOWS. Enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Game Rip) - 09 "Secrets"

That previous sub actually got the letter in 9 minutes. :-) For anyone listening to the hosted source, it accidentally cuts off and starts over at :47. It's that Google Pages corruption error going around, so just listen to it from there.

The weak transitions hurt this. A good example to study that's somewhat similar to your sub would be Shnabubula's first ReMix Guardian Legend 'Red Spiders'. Even if you change the sounds and ideas from one section to the next, you generally need to be able to chain them together and retain a coherent structure. You were trying to do that with some of the sound or stylistic changes with some degree of success (e.g. 1:07, 1:36), but the transition at 2:53 was pretty poor. How can you completely fade the track out there, but then transition back to the previous ideas at 3:41 without a complete fadeout? It demonstrates to me that you should have been able to not completely fade out for the first changeup.

Arrangement-wise, you have some decent ideas in terms of personalizing the approach. Your textures however are really flimsy. This really could have used some appropriate beatwork to drive the track forward. As is, there's tons of empty space in the soundfield that could stand to be filled out and give the track more substance.

More substance would also make the change to the lonely mallet percussion section at 1:36 have a lot more dynamic impact, which was a cool idea for a section. Mallet sequencing was a bit too rigid to not sound robotic playing all the way until 2:53 though. That's a lonnnnnnnng time.

Overall, Ben, some good arrangement ideas, but the execution is pretty rough so far. Keep working on this one with help from our forums and any other places you can find help, and treat it as a learning experience.

NO

• 1 month later...

Really harsh instrumentation, with some interesting production techniques. Stutters, panning, etc. are cool, but in this case come across as gimmicky, mainly because the composition isn't there. The ideas seem really underdeveloped and spastic. Try for some softer textures, and more harmonic subtlety.

NO

You used the "shutting down" transition twice. Lazy. :(

You've got a lot of ideas here, but they're all severely underdeveloped. It sounds more like stuff you jotted down in a notebook to try and make sense of later.

HAHA get it because in Hotel Dusk you have a notebook yeah nevermind

Now is not the time for a pretentious metaphor. Let's see some real development! Don't just fade out and go to the next idea. Integrate your ideas, transition from one to the other. This is one song, not seven.

NO, but keep at it