Liontamer

Evan Arnett

evanarnettmusic@gmail.com

www.evanarnett.com

ID= 20858

Gmae: Legend of Zelda

Arrangment of: Overworld Theme and Ocarina of Time: Hyrule Field

Title: "Legend of Zelda Overture"

I've always been a huge Zelda fan, and decided to create an orchestral arrangement. It's conceived as a piece of dramatic concert music that could be performed by a real orchestra. Rather than being based on one single Zelda tune, I took a few of my favorite themes, developed and combined them. So the point was more to communicate an overall feeling of "Zelda" with my own musical fingerprint, hence the label "overture". I got some really helpful advice from the folks on the forums and made some revisions accordingly. I hope you enjoy it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda.zip - Track 1

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 19 "Hyrule Field Main Theme"

What is that intro an arrangement of? I know that sounds familiar. Anyway, arrangement of the Zelda title theme showed up at :31 with some nice variations on the melody, followed by a very energetic move into "Hyrule Field Main Theme" at :50. Solid orchestration, and I was loving the variations on the source melodies. A little thing, but the brass and string phrasing from 1:41-1:47 was excellent; I liked the choices there.

Moved back into some of the ole' faithful of the Zelda title theme with a more straightforward (but expansionist) take from 2:35-3:03. 3:07 ratcheted things back up with a return to the Hyrule Field theme and the arrangement easily could have suffered by lazily retreading the :50's section. Props for not resting on your laurels. Would have loved to have heard more attention to the Hyrule Field theme, if only because the last section at 3:50 focused on the classic theme and it's played a bit too straight for my tastes there. Strong stuff overall though.

Every time I feel like "Zelda + orchestration = beating a dead horse", someone in this community surprises me. Nice work, Evan. Keep 'em coming.

YES

nice intro.

problems start at around 1:21-1:25, where the transcription is really poor. some of the notes used really clash with the string hits.

The interlude is very helpful dynamically, because the string hits do start to get tiresome. the same rhythm over and over and over is really not a great idea. I remember Jared Hudson did something like this in an early version of his CT going west remix. I had a headache by the end.

In spite of these imperfections, the arrangement is pretty good, there's sufficient subtlety in the partwriting.

borderline YES

• 1 month later...

Very nice production and execution here. It reminds me a bit of "The Frontier" in terms of sounds and rhythms. The samples ain't perfect but they're definitely passable, with detailed sequencing and a good level of realism. Plus, the whole thing is at a good average volume - I didn't need to touch my volume fader to compensate, which often happens w/ orchestral mixes. The arrangement is quite good, with a fair amount of dynamics, personalization, and direction. The original additions fit in well. Lastly, the ending is very much the kind of thing you would hear at the end of a credits roll in a movie... cool!

A wonderful example of how, despite many arrangements of these themes (orchestral ones included), one can still create something fresh and creative. Good job.

YES

Given how hard it is to make orchestral mixes sound good, you deserve major kudos on the production end.

You've got a good understanding of how dynamics and pacing play into a good arrangement. As Vig mentioned, the interlude works very, very well to keep the piece interesting.

I don't have a whole lot to add beyond that. This is great work.

YES