*NO* EarthBound 'The Melody Complete'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: AZ-Solii

Email Adress: AZSolii@gmail.com

Forum ID Number: 20907

Game Remixed: Earthbound (AKA Mother 2)

Song Remixed: Sound Stone Melody

Title of Remix: The Melody Complete (from Earthbound)

Link: http://www.sheezyart.com/view/1277070/

I'm new to the composing and arranging world and have just begun to practice the art. Earlier, I decided to do a remix of a song which is quite important to me. So I wanted to practice my skills in dictation and arrangement on this piece and this submission was the product of it. After hearing it, a friend told me I should submit it here. I realize that the standards are quite brutal; however, I don't think I'll get much better without some constructive criticism. So, after debating a bit, I decided to give it a go and submit it. There's really not much more to say except that I eagerly await your decision and comments.

Thank you,

K. "AZ" Solii

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=mo2 - "Eight Melodies" (mo2-111.spc)

The samples chosen were pretty serviceable. Could use some refinements in terms of realism, but some other Js would be better equipped to say what worked and what didn't. The very robotic, sustained woodwind fluttering from 3:48-4:04 really exposed the sample. The ending at 4:04 also decayed too quickly, exposing every sample. Those were the only major issues I heard there.

The base was taken verbatim from the original, which is already pretty dangerous in terms of the standards. It was only by 1:06 when some added writing ideas come in with the strings, then we got some more new stuff from 2:10-2:46 with the woodwind and brass before going back to the source melody with added embellishments.

This simply holds too hard and fast to the structure of the original, and sounds so verbatim it might as well be MIDI-ripped if it isn't. At that point, I had to double-check the Mother arrange album just to make sure everything wasn't cribbed.

You've gotta move way more beyond that framework with more ideas that alter and personalize the delivery compared to the original. You're starting to go in the right direction in terms of subsequently adding new ideas/part-writing, but copying the original verbatim is still going to hurt you in terms of a lack of interpretation. Keep at it, you've clearly got some potential for growth as a musician.

NO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think your musicianship is fine, despite what Larry asserts, you just need to improve your skills as a producer and an arranger.

ocremixes tend to deviate from the source in structure. there are exceptions to this of course, but in those cases, a lot of original (or rewritten) supporting material is incorporated, or the harmony has been altered significantly.

this arrangement doesn't really deviate from the source enough in either of these respects.

add to that some relatively mechanical sequencing and this isn't gonna pass the bar.

orchestral is ridiculously tough to do well synthetically. if you want to stick with this, i'd advise working on the arrangement the most, with some more work put into humanizing your sequencing.

NO