Red Rum - Soul Of Rage

Red Rum

Streets of Rage Round 8 Remix (The Last Soul). I tried to make this remix alot better in quality and sound. I think it is much better than Up In The Streets. Seriously I go back and listen to it and it wasn't anything special and to be honest... I think it sucked.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/arffqv

Please give me feedback and tell me what you all think and please tell me what I need to work on. I am trying to get a remix on OCRemix already. I've been remixing since 2001 and I still haven't quite done that. I must say getting a remix on this site and having it get to the judges board is a goal for me. I want to make a unique remix so judges have a reason to say yes to the remix instead of no. Anyways, don't say the drums are too repetitive because that's the whole point of the remix. I wanted to go in that direction.

Thank you.

Since this is SOR, I feel obliged to comment. Ok, let's take it from the top.

0:10 - seems like there is an odd note in there, sounds like a mistake. Even if it is intentional, I would get rid of it.

0:20 - drums sound super-tight to me. Even though they are pretty much the same as the original.

0:54 - arrangement so far is identical to the original. This has a strong Enigma vibe (the source kinda does too). Still, I like that.

1:00-1:34 - more instruments come in. The synths work well imho. But I think there might be some questionable notes there. Don't take my word for it though.

2:44 - No, no, no! By the time the main riff comes in there, you have to bring that EP down a notch and pick a better lead for the riff that comes in. Its too weak and distorted, it drowns in the supporting instrumentation.

3:07 - changing up some harmonies. Not bad, but not great either.

3:54 - same comments from 2:44 apply here.

4:17ish - more stuff going on and once again we stumble on some bad notes. The cymbal crash doesn't sound all that good.

Alright, let's see. I really like how the drums sound, but, they are repetitive as they almost never change up. Also, you need a better crash cymbal. Arrangement-wise this is pretty much a cover of the source with very little interpretation, so for the purposes of OCR that's a big issue. The style and feel of the remix is also pretty much identical to the source, that's not going to go over well with the judges either, since it doesn't sound like you are putting a personal spin on this very popular theme. Synths are good for the most part (other than what I noted above), and the sound quality is fine.

I've been working on making it better all night, I'll post it in a few hours, I will say I blended some of Enigma's Sadness into the track, and I put some other track samples into the track, and I'm taking Ambients advice on changing that distorted lead into another instrument, probably something smoother, and yeah, that odd note is a mistake, I didn't catch that. lol. I'm working on making my own compositions into a track, give it a few hours, I will be posting it. :)

I made the remix better, I added clips from Enigma's Sadness and Murda Murda (like you heard in Up In The Streets, if you ever heard it.) I changed the distorted lead to a synth-like clav with effects which gives it a string-feel to it. I got rid of the odd note in the intro (that was a mistake, but I fixed that. lol.) I added a little bit to the snares when the drums play. I made some of the parts a little different. Check it out and tell me what you think now.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y4ml77

Thanks. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to follow up and say that your original WIP version of this track (the one without the chanting) has been on my playlist for a while. It's an awesome cover of the source tune. But that is the main problem, it's a cover. I saw that you got rejected by the panel, and to tell you the truth I did not expect it to go any other way.

All I can say is, please work on this remix more, especially on varying up the drums and making your arrangement (much) more interpretive.

• 1 month later...

Ambient, your wish has been granted. lol.

Well, I worked on it, Added a little bit of my own compositions into it now, breakdowns with the drums. and The drums are not as repetitive. Check it out everyone, and let me know whatcha think. :) I'd appreciate it.

I don't know if it's done or not, but I'm trying my ass off for this remix to make OC. I'm letting the people and judges decide for themselves it's ready is all I say.

One thing you gotta know about me, I'm not going to stop working on this remix until it makes it. That's how I am. I never give up and when I'm commended to something, trust me. I am. Anyways... enough of me talking, I sound like a preacher. lol. Here is the link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/aff6ot

Enjoy! Give me feedback too! Tell me what is wrong if there is anything wrong. And I promise you I will fix anything. :)

Man,

I actually still listen to the very first version of your mix. It is very close to the original in every way, doesn't really have drum fills, or any groundbreaking ideas, but it is such a great upgrade of the original.

To be honest, I don't really dig the changes you made to the mix. Right now it sounds kinda messy, with occasional bad notes here and there. The snare roll sounds very simplistic, surely you could go for a more interesting fill.

Honestly, I don't know what to recommend. I think you should have stuck with the enigma vibe more, and modify the arrangement so it mirrors that enigma song (i dont remember the name). You HAVE to change up the supporting instrumentation. Don't leave the bass and arps pretty much the same, and then alter the melody. It is always better (for OCR at least) to alter the melody slightly, or maybe even leave it the same, but definitely change up the supporting instrumentation. The easiest thing would be to get a midi of that enigma song, look at it, see what they are doing for the arrangement. Then try and adapt your SOR theme to reflect their arrangement ideas. This way you will have a SOR remix with a strong enigma vibe, and it will definitely qualify as rearrangment. I know, it sounds cheap, and some people will be hating on me for saying this, but that is the best way to learn. It's not plagiarism, since there is no law or rule protecting arrangement ideas. Melodies - yes, but not arrangement techniques. If this was not the case, then most trance, house, and dnb artists would be breaking the law right now.

I hope this helps.