OCR01650 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version 'Clairvoyant Eulogy'

The Orichalcon

ReMixer(s): The Orichalcon (just little old me!)

Game(s): Pokémon Blue/Red

Title: Clairvoyant Eulogy

Source: http://www.zophar.net/gbs/pokemonb.zip - Level 12

Description FiremanJoe requested this one. Wanted to do an industrial style remix. With the elements of electronica and some strings. Things get quite distorted, but it's all relative and ultimately purposeful. The ReMix is short, but that's because I accomplished what I wanted in the short amount of time. Elements of the source should be readily recognisable.

If you're set on making the pokemon OST listenable, I imagine making it industrial isn't a bad place to start.

<listens>

yeah. As I thought. The original is completely awful. TO made it listenable by essentially making it his own. Good enough for me.

Pokemon has a terrible soundtrack, afk.

YES

Hahaha! That source tune is indeed terrible. Sounds like the Game Boy's running out of battery life. Hate that melody and how the phrasing seems wrong all the time though. Nonetheless, definitely a good eulogy theme though that could go in any number of directions. I'd love to hear a somber, expansionist take on this one day.

Mix is kinda crunchy in the low end to start, but it's better once the loud strings and booming drum shots in the intro drop out at :59. Probably my only major crit, as I think it could have been crunchy without sounding distorted.

Seemingly wrong note at 1:37; didn't really resolve into anything that I could pick up on, so it was awkward. Good changeup at 1:39 with the lead to give the track a different feel than before. Not a piece that's high on repetition or structured to come full circle, the ending seems more abrupt and less satisfying as a result. At the end of the day though, there's way more to like here, and I appreciate what was done with such lackluster source material.

YES

• 1 month later...

I can understand criticisms of the distortion or "crunchiness" in the low end but I don't think it's an issue. The sound balance sounds fine on my headphones and there's no clipping, artifacts, or digital distortion.

On the whole, this is a well-crafted and enjoyable remix that really expands on a simple and rather crappy source. Chill pads and ambience, crunchy beats, synth riffage... it all gels together swimmingly. Some might say the arrangement doesn't really go anywhere, or it's not melodic enough, but I think TO covered all the bases in his own style as best as one can when working with a source tune like this. Good job.

YES

good stuff, Lee. blah, blah, blah, i don't like pokemon. sorry for the glibness, but scanning through the vote, i don't have anything new to add. there is no reason that this shouldn't be an ocremix.

i will say that i like the "crunchiness" in the drums, so Larry can go to hell.

YES