*NO* EarthBound 'Bus Rider'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: M2S7N

Name of game: Earthbound

Name of indiv. song: Get on the Bus (bus riding theme)

Basically I took the original track and turned it more into what it was obviously intending: an upbeat surf song. Of course a surfified version of the track already exists in Shadow's "Bus!", but I assure you, mine has something completely different to offer (except a more original name). I love Shadow's version as well, but while his basically updates the original with more realistic sounding guitars, organs, and such, I went for more of the 60s surf band feel (a la Dick Dale), with all live instruments (except the drums, due to lack of a drumset). It took me a while to figure out how to get a good sound from my amp to my computer, and the mix may still sound rough at times, but honestly I like it sounding a little rough around the edges. Overall I think there's enough variation in arrangement and instrumentation to offer a completely different take on both the original and Shadow's version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bar has risen a lot since Shadow's "Bus!" over 4 years ago, so I'm not sure if you looked at it as somewhat where the arrangement bar is. There were some slight variations on the source from :59-1:38, but it was more from a subtractive perspective and didn't do much else in terms of modifying the structure. There was some decent electric guitar freestyling of sorts on top of the basic progression of the original later on (1:54-2:12), which is an alright idea that others have certainly done before. Better stuff on guitar at 2:35 giving at least more substantial personalization to the melody for one last run.

The drums were too clean and upfront in contrast with the really muddy guitar work. Things didn't sound like they were remotely in the same soundscape; it sounded like the drums were added underneath as an afterthought. The drum patterns were also really bland and placeholder-ish; let's get something more creative or at least more comfortably couched in the soundfield.

Arrangement-wise, this was moving in the right direction, but the delivery needed more personalization and flair to stand apart from the original. 2:35 was the best example of that here, whereas other sections were closer to a 1-for-1 approach without enough personalization in the delivery. Work on giving this more of an edge in terms of the arrangement and performance, and rethink the sound balance and drum writing.

NO

• 1 month later...

I have little to add that Larry hasn't already covered. Production is very rough here. Thne guitars sound like they're on top of a distant mountain yodeling to the drums, which are sitting in front of us in a dry room. It seems like everything's a little right-heavy whenever the guitars are taking the forefront as well, until the wahoowahoo FX come in at 2:14. Wide panning is okay for the style, but you should try to get all the instruments sounding like they're in the same space if you want it to work.

Arrangement-wise, yes this is more expanded upon than Shadow's remix. I still think it needs more personalization, though, and that's already been mentioned.

Don't give up; you're on the right track.

NO RESUBMIT