*NO* Castlevania 4 'Pots of Treasury'

Liontamer

* ReMixer name: Written Pages

* Email address: fred.epe@gmail.com

* Original game/title/composer: Super Castlevania / Treasury Room / by Masanori Adachi, Sotaro Tojima

Coming from a progressive rock/metal background and being a huge fan of your website for over two years now, I thought it was finally time to make a contribution myself.

I am an engineer/composer from the Netherlands. Other than my main project - a rock opera with musicians from all over the world - I pretty much recently started recording my own little tributes to the world of game music.

I have always been heavily influenced by 80's science fiction movies, the 8-/16-bit era and - ever since I discovered ocremix.org - lots of wonderful gaming remixes.

Except for the drums, nothing on this remix was sequenced. I used a number of patches and recorded the instruments myself. After a couple of great remixes of well-known songs such as Bloody Tears, I thought a remix of Treasury Room would be a nice change for once. I remember getting "goosebumped" every time I played that stage on the SNES when I was 10 or so.

Hope you like the song! Keep up the great work @ ocremix.org!

Yours,

Fred

P.S.: Try to endure the first part of the piano intro ;-)

--

-= www.unwrittenpages.com =-

-= www.myspace.com/unwrittenpages =-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Try to endure the first part of the piano intro." Always encouraging. :lol:

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=scv4 - "Treasury Room" (scv4-16.spc)

Man is that an interesting source. Some of that stuff sounds ripe for Shnabubula's style.

Onto the mix, the piano intro was extra quiet and I'm not sure why. Didn't seem very different from the source. The dissonance didn't throw me off more than the volume. Things got louder at :32 with some additional instrumentation coming in, followed by a transition into some rock at :47. Really glad someone got the drums right for once, where they actually fit with the rest of the instrumentation. More activity in the percussion writing would have been better though.

Cool changeup at 1:15 via the piano and strings, with a nice segue back into the woodwinds leading back into more rock. The drum writing at 1:29 was flimsy. The snare pattern is so boring and doesn't drive the track along. The tone is good, but the volume's too loud and makes the boring snare writing stick out like a sore thumb. Just pull 'em back or something. Then the pattern simply carries over into the e-piano solo at 2:02.

C'mon, you've got literally everything else clicking, let's get those drums up to snuff. Even the percussion writing in the SPC is more creative. Work on this some more. I wanna see this up on the main page. Very cool first sub, Fred! I look forward to hearing more.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 2 months later...

Interesting. Opening piano is fairly terrible, both in terms of volume, sound quality, and sequencing otherwise. I can see the comparison to some of Sam's stuff, but Sam's stuff on the other hand is usually oozing complexity and music theory. This just sounds like you kind of clicked in notes without really paying attention to what they were.

Anyway, moving on, the track is definitely unique, there's a lot of craziness in here. Drums at 1:02 were a little too weak. Interesting call-and-answer type stuff with the oboe, piano and strings around 1:20. Actually, drums overall are pretty weak. And the mix--really really muddy. The reverb on the drums also makes them sound too far back. The mix was really biased toward the right channel, too. Maybe even that up a little. There wasn't enough going on in my left ear to compensate for all the weight that was in the right.

Definitely not a terrible submission, but this one needs to be cleaned up quite a bit. I do however give you props for you choice of source, in that it's not Bloody Tears. Nothing wrong with B.T., but we get a lot of 'em around here. So for whatever it's worth, I appreciate you taking a stab at another track.

NO

Interesting. Opening piano is fairly terrible, both in terms of volume, sound quality, and sequencing otherwise. I can see the comparison to some of Sam's stuff, but Sam's stuff on the other hand is usually oozing complexity and music theory. This just sounds like you kind of clicked in notes without really paying attention to what they were.

I said the source was something that could suit Sam's style. I didn't say this sub was anything like it. :-P

The arrangement here is definitely a pass, however the production needs cleaning up in a few places.

The piano intro is too quiet compared to the rest of the mix, and the snare is quite loud compared to the rest of the instruments. I also agree with BGC about the heavy right-sided panning.

Working on these small but significant issues will ensure a pass.

NO (Good candidate for resub)