*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'Land Hopping'

Liontamer

Remixer name: D-Ciduous

E-mail: Dragonninjaakira@hotmail.com

Game: Final Fantasy VII

Song: Main Theme

I know that this is a cliched game and song to remix but I think I have a pretty original take on the theme. I hope you guys enjoy it. And please, if it gets rejected, let me know where I was short in the remix so I can compensate in later remixes. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 201 "Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII"

The sounds in the intro up to :55 were pretty weak; it's a decent premise, but the textures ended up pretty flimsy. The sequenced piano in particular was too mechanical-sounding. That's always a bigger negative impact when using an instrument that's supposed to sound organic.

The changeup to the more beat-driven material at 1:51 was very awkward, IMO. The textures were decent, but still need more substance. The beats established at 2:15 were pretty boring, and the gated synth on lead arranging the melody was plodding.

The keyboard-ish sound at 2:59 lightly in the background sounded pasted in the background and seemingly clashed with the melodic material. Wasn't a good idea to then push it up into the front at 4:08 going towards the finish.

Arrangement-wise, there wasn't much direction, development or momentum to the piece. From 2:15 until the end, it dragged its knuckles on the ground, unfortunately. This needs lots of work on both the arrangement and production sides, so if you're not currently using the Works or ReMixing forums for feedback and advice, respectively, then you need to get started.

NO

• 1 month later...

Yeah the weird stabbing lead has got to go. The piano makes an attempt to be delicate, but ends up sounding like it's being pounded on. Percussion sounds very "flimsy," a word Larry likes to use a lot.

Get's repetitive and old fast. You haven't given the sections of the song the attention they deserve; it sounds more like you came up with an idea for a very small part of the song and tried to apply that idea to the rest. The entire second half of the song is so aimless that you get completely lost in listening to it. Not lost in the music in that transporting way, more like "what the heck am I listening to?!"

Like Larry said, hit the WIP and Remixing forums. You've got a ways to go.

NO

And, 3 strikes for the "Pwow" lead synth. Texture is ultra flimsy with nothing but the aforementioned synth backed by a sweeping pad. Melody drop with the piano wasn't too fulfilling either. Sounds like there may be a little clipping as well. Gotta fix that.

Otherwise, 2:00 into the track, this is still pretty bland. Thin, dry, and again, flimsy. Sorry to sound so critical. But I wouldn't even suggest bothering to tweak it. Scrap it and start over. Use different instruments, and fill out the sound field. Try to put some energy into it.

NO