* Your real name: Chris Blakley

* Your email address: groggie@gmail.com

* Your website: http://www.groggie.com/music

* Your userid (number, not name): 12423

ReMix Info

* Name of ReMix: "Protect the Stairbase"

* Name of game(s) ReMixed: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time

* Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Starbase

* Link to the original soundtrack: http://djpretzel.web.aplus.net/songs/original/TMNT4.rsn

* Your own comments about the mix: This is the second re-submission for this track (third total submission). I took quite a long time after the last rejection to get it to a point where I believe it would be accepted. I lengthened it to almost 3 1/2 minutes, and pushed the concept of the actual video game in it (the time machine powering up at the beginning). I went back at fixed all of the volume issues from the last submission, and additionally, put in a bunch more counter melodies, atmospheric effects, and other subtle nuances to further it more from the original (each of the 24 tracks has at least one really cool groove, melody, or something on it). Besides the intro, the most noticeable change will be the ending. I extended it and added more instruments in on the last chord (got the idea from some drum corps shows). It's almost been two years since I started this project, and I'm hoping it will come to fruition so I can move on. I plan on doing acoustic guitar and rock remix/covers now, so expect a couple of those from me in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=tit - "Star Base ~ Where No Turtle Has Gone Before" (tit-17.spc)

Funked up intro. In a good way. Good usage of the game sounds as well. Things picked up at :35, and I'm still skeptical of sacking traditional percussion in favor of these bass kicks only because the perc work here doesn't seem to fill things out adequately. Gonna have to see what else is new.

Good alteration of the rhythms from 1:10-1:25. The synths at 1:35 are still extra-vanilla. Good stuff at 1:50, continuing to play with the melody as the percussion changed around. I felt like 2:15-2:44 was way too long with no percussion to keep it movin'. Things were just feeling empty as if one of the channels was turned off.

This might make it, and I wish you luck, because you've got it clicking on nearly every other level now and made the track yours. I'm not trying to downplay the great strides you've made with this one. But without some full-sounding perc at the foundation, I feel like there's a gaping, goatse-size hole in this one. :'-( Good luck on the rest of the vote, and I definitely look forward to hearing more from you. No problems if this passed.

NO (borderline)

• 4 weeks later...

Great writing, great arrangement. I don't have a problem with the drums per-se, but I do feel like there's a hole, namely in the 250-500Hz range. Got to fill out the low-mids. That's a critical body range, and it does feel a little hollow without it. I dont think it would take much to complete this mix, and I wouldn't have a big problem if this passes,but I think it needs to fill that space.

NO

• 1 month later...

Intro is pretty nice, though the transition is abrupt. I like the overall volume now - good job fixing that. The phasing on the lead seems OK now. However, my problems with the drums still stand. There's still hardly a groove to speak of. That's a big problem. Additionally a lot of the synth sounds are pretty plain; they're all stabs and leads. No soft harmony arpeggios, smooth 'string' type instruments, etc. A very homogenous texture. Try using vibrato on your leads too (LFO applied to pitch) to make sustained sounds more interesting.

I would also rethink using the low synth chords (eg. the sound at :50). They just muddy things up. Try pad sounds instead, and focus more on a legato lead. Maybe some sort of parallel synth at 1:11 playing a harmony with the main lead. In general the arrangement is OK but it feels sparse, such as around 2:15. Elements drop in and out with no sense of an overall dynamic contour or curve. Listen to some of the other posted electronic remixes to get a better idea of what we're looking for. This should be driving and high energy, but it just doesn't have any momentum.

With regards to production, the mixing in general is a little off. It's muddy in the subs and as vig said, 200-500hz seems a little lacking (low-mids). The kicks are a little too loud, and I think overall you could use some compression to 'glue' everything together. This probably isn't the main issue you need to be worrying about though.

Sorry man, still not quite there.

NO