*NO* R.C. Pro-Am 'Pure Ten'

Dafydd

david,

as i said earlier, the snare isn't a deal breaker for me. at all.

the biggest problem with the track is how dense and cluttered things get. applying lots of compression isn't going to help that much.

i would work on eq'ing and panning the various elements in the busy sections so that it's easy to tell what's supposed to be in the foreground, and what's supposed to be in the background.

i'll try and spell things out a little more for you.

the busy sections are cluttered, so here's what you do.

1) REMOVE ELEMENTS THAT ARE CLUTTERING THE MIX

2) EQ THE REMAINING ELEMENTS SO THAT THEY'RE NOT CROWDING THE SAME FREQUENCIES

3) ADJUST THE PANNING

At 2:07, what am I supposed to be listening to? the guitar, the strings, or the brass? they're all inhabiting the same space in the stereofield, and roughly the same frequency range.

At about 2:55, a synth horn takes up the melody, but it's competing with the guitar, which is way up front, the backing strings, which are occupying the same frequency range, and a solo string line which is panned close to everything else. It's chaotic

There's no quick fix for this. It takes a lot of time and experimentation to learn the finer points of production, especially when you have a mix as dense as this one is.

I wish I could give you a bunch of tips like "drop a highpass filter at X frequency range etc etc etc" but I am not that gifted as a recording engineer.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to add. When you're eq'ing 95% of the time you want to CUT frequencies as opposed to boosting them. I didn't figure that one out for awhile