*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Time Over Time'

Liontamer

Can't send 3 at once; he subbed the first two before in a pack of five in January all hosted on Megaupload, so I'll pass on those; I pick the last one, arguably the best one - LT

Hello!!, my remixer name is: shadown, and my real name sebastian.

I send to you some works about the game: Zelda Twilight Princess.

1- Echoes from Farone: Remix of the Farone Forest theme and Lost Woods theme

2- Serenade of the Queen: Remix betwen Rutela´s theme and Serenade of Water(Ocarina of time)

I send to you one remix of the game: Zelda Ocarina of Time

1- Time over time: Remix betwen the song of time (ocarina of time) and other themes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 44 "Temple of Time"

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=loz3 - "Hyrule Castle" (loz3-14.spc)

Interesting stuff. The inclusion of source material seems OK (pretty recognizable), but I may check it more closely later. Bit lo-fi, and also "DAMN YOU FOR NOT SAYING WHAT THE OTHER THEMES ARE"! :lol: How about that!

Well, with Temple of Time being the source, the very intro is arranging the first few notes from :06-:10. Lots of light audio deformations from :22-:26 for whatever reason.

Is that another theme at :30, as that sounds familiar. May just be original. The pipe phrasing at :51-:57 is Temple of Time, but way too liberal. The brass at 1:12 does the same arranged melody, but again IMO too liberal. Goes the too-liberal route all the way until 1:49, which is a long time.

The instruments brought in at 1:12 (brass and keys) were decent, but the track felt like the groove was carrying it. The groove's varied up a little (e.g. the key change at 1:32) but still got monotonous over time. But to be fair, from an in-game VGM, the composition is solid. It just doesn't sound enough like the source so far, being way too liberally arranged.

Another reference of "Temple of Time" at 1:53 which was cool. From that point on, the arrangement was more overt with it's interpretation. 2:35 dropped out the groove and changed the tempo briefly, even cameo-ing some organ stuffs for a cup of coffee from 2:46-2:51. The even more minimal percussion starting from 2:53-4:03 was oOK, though dynamically this just hovers at the same energy level too long for both halves. he second half was actually sucking energy away, it was so dour-sounding.

Nice shot of Zelda 3's "Hyrule Castle" from 3:44-4:04 and 4:25-4:45, sandwiching another go of "Temple of Time" with some more embellishments, but also providing no resolution.

The approach is fairly unconventional. Interesting how the groove from part 1 carried the track, then the groove from part 2 didn't carry it enough. We'll see if any others agree.

I'm not saying you need a billion more parts or something way more dynamic. But you could use some more substance in the writing, particularly for the backing parts, which could use more subtle development rather than repeating so much. The sound design isn't great, but the arrangement was pretty interesting for the recognizable parts. For the second half, the "Temple of Time" wasn't given a drastic overhaul so much as a different mood, but it's something different that what we normally get. Needs a little bit of spit-polish to get it sounding solid, but you also have to reign in the liberal arrangement ideas fro, the first half. Keep working on it.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

This meanders way too much. There's an attempt at melding different themes together, but the problem is that most of those themes don't seem to sound like anything from Ocarina of Time. I thought maybe temple music because that's quite minimalist, but I didn't find anything. Sounds to me like a lot of liberal ideas thrown in with a play on the Song of Time. Quoting Hyrule Castle sounds out of place and doesn't really work in the context of the song.

I don't think the development is very good either. Sounds like you came up with an arpeggio line and then just messed around over it a bit. Samples are weak and the sequencing lacks any kind of humanization at all, especially the descending triplets in the piano.

I'm gonna say NO, on account of its overly-liberal arrangement, poor structure, and boring texture.

If someone can point out full sources to the themes in this piece, I'll be happy to edit my vote, but I looked and I couldn't find anything.

i agree with shariq re: liberal arrangement and poor structure. i don't think he's out of line using the word "boring"-- i'm having a hard time staying focused on it myself.

the textures sound pretty weak, especially the piano and that brass sample near the middle. still, they're nos as weak as the arrangement is. it's overlong, meandering, and just kind of fades out at the end.

in the future it will help for you to cut your arrangement down to its best ideas, and spend less time presenting them. there's way too much space and nothing going on dynamically. if you skip randomly around the mp3, you're always going to find the same textures playing at the same intensity. this is what purgatory sounds like.

NO