Half-life 2 Demo Question

dsx100

I know this seems like an odd question but I still need an answer to it.

Is there a way of getting and installing the half-life 2 demo without using Steam?

I ask this becasue my higher-end PC doesn't have an internet connection. Only my lower-end model has internet access. What I usually do in this case is download the demo and transfer it to my other PC. However, I have yet to find a way to this with Half-life 2. From what I see I need access to steam to download,install, and even play the demo. I really want to try this game out, so if anyone has a possible solution please let me know.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Yup.

That's how I got my copy, actually. Got it for free as part of a mb/cpu combo and all it was was a little piece of paper with a Steam activation code.

Even if you buy the full game at the store, I suspect it'll require an internet connection and Steam account to activate it and actually PLAY it, and you'd then need to let it download the patches.

Even if you buy the full game at the store, I suspect it'll require an internet connection and Steam account to activate it and actually PLAY it, and you'd then need to let it download the patches.

I bought the full game, and it does.

Man that sucks. However, I think I found a solution. When I try to launch steam on my off-line PC, a message appears that says I can access steam offline but that I need to have my login information stored on my PC. Does anyone know how to do that.

I got the entire valve collection of the half life games including HL2 and you can play them offline. The catch is though you still need Steam to run, just in offline mode. This is assuming you've already registered...

The only thing I actually like about it is that even if I should ever lose my retail cd copy, the games are all tied to my account. If I reformat but want the games back and cant find/dont have the cds anymore, I can just download it onto my pc with no issues.

As for your problem, can't you just set up a lan system to your higher end PC? Or better yet simply move the higher end PC to the internet accessable area..?

I got the entire valve collection of the half life games including HL2 and you can play them offline. The catch is though you still need Steam to run, just in offline mode. This is assuming you've already registered...

The only thing I actually like about it is that even if I should ever lose my retail cd copy, the games are all tied to my account. If I reformat but want the games back and cant find/dont have the cds anymore, I can just download it onto my pc with no issues.

As for your problem, can't you just set up a lan system to your higher end PC? Or better yet simply move the higher end PC to the internet accessable area..?

My lower-end PC is not actually mine, its my fathers. He pays for the internet so he doesn't like me to use it, so switching them is out of the question. Lan or Wifi internet is possible but I need money to set that up, which unfortunately I don't have right now. I'm trying to save up money to go to school in the spring, plus I have a large car isurance bill. I did have a wireless router hooked just awhile ago but it just doesn't work. Nothing can get a signal from that thing, including my wireless reciever, wii, and ds. So as you can see, I am in a little bind right now as far as aquiring internet access.

So now that I have explained myself, How can I get steam running in off-line mode. I have already registered also. If new need more specific info, when I try to run Steam on my off-line PC, I get the message "Unable to run in off-line mode because Steam was unable to find login information."

Any help is very much appreciated.

try to talk with your dad.

what you need to do is:

plug your pc to the net temporarily to uncrypt half life file.

once it's done unplug your pc, and put it back to your room.

start steam in offline mode. start half life2.

you just need to connect at least once.

try to talk with your dad.

what you need to do is:

plug your pc to the net temporarily to uncrypt half life file.

once it's done unplug your pc' date=' and put it back to your room.

start steam in offline mode. start half life2.

you just need to connect at least once.[/quote']

I actually already did that. I did exactly what you said.

I,Took my computer all the way to my living room, set up the internet, registered for Steam and played the demo for about 2 minutes while I still had the time.

Took my computer back to my room, and thats when I got that message I said earlier.

I'll try it agian later today but I doubt anything will change.

PS: To anybody reading my posts, don't think of dad as a jerk because he's really not. Its just that we only have one internet connection, and being as my father pays for it, he thinks it should be connected to his computer in the living room rather than to my PC in my room. I honestly don't have much of problem with this but as you can see it causes some small problems.

ok. so i dunno maybe a problem with the demo? because i'm trying to help with what i know with the full game.

Thanks for your help anyway, its very much appreciated.

A wireless router functions as a regular router too, so just plug it into your internet connection, and plug both computers directly into the router.

I knew that but for some reason I never thought of actually doing it. I'll give it try but it will tough because my room and the living room are pretty far apart. Thanks for the suggestion.

No prob. If you can't get a long enough cable, at the worst you might have to end up moving your computer closer to the living room.

If it turns out to be too inconvenient, try to see if there's a checkbox or some other way to "save login/password" or something. It doesn't make sense for them to have an off-line mode if there's no way to use it...