Problem: Audio clips and tempo changes

My newest remix has 4 separate tempos (140, 170, 180, and 200), as well as a time signature change in the middle (12/8 to 4/4 and back). I did guitars in another application and dropped the resulting wave file in FL as an audio clip. The problem is, it won't play back correctly (EDIT: specifically, the audio doesn't synch up like it should) unless I play the song from the beginning, which kind of defeats the purpose of me using audio clips. Clearly the file needs to read the tempo automation, but it happens even if I place the cursor right before the tempo change.

Is there any way to make this work without slicing and cutting the blank space at the beginning? I like files that I can drop into any application without a bunch of manual positioning...

-steve

I know this isn't what you want.. but, if nobody knows a better way, here is what I would do:

Slice (yeah, slice =( ) the guitar track at the tempo changes. Make each of the slices unique. Then go to each slice, play the song around that position for a sec to make it go to the tempo at that point in the song, and drag like the pitch knob to a random position, once it's done its 'stretching' drag it back to default. This will reset the audio clip to that tempo. Repeat for all slices.

If someone knows a better way, I too, would really really like to hear it. FLStudio is pretty lame with audio clips and tempo.

One additional thing to watch out for, sorta having to do with this topic: You know how when you drag the tempo thing to a different tempo, it asks you "restretch all audio clips now? yes/no" well, when you save a file after tempo events have taken the song to a different tempo from its initial position, it automatically restretches audio clips without asking you. this is why sometimes if you export a song, quit and save, and then open it again later, the audio clips will be the wrong pitch.

OK, I think I understand the problem now. FL is messing with the audio file when the tempo changes. How do I get it to not do that, and just play the file from an absolute time marker? I have blank space at the beginning of the file, and the audio kicks in when it should time-wise (which is why everything works when I play from the beginning). But if I move the cursor to where the audio should start, it seems like FL starts in with its timestretching bullshit.

-steve

OK, I think I understand the problem now. FL is messing with the audio file when the tempo changes. How do I get it to not do that, and just play the file from an absolute time marker? I have blank space at the beginning of the file, and the audio kicks in when it should time-wise (which is why everything works when I play from the beginning). But if I move the cursor to where the audio should start, it seems like FL starts in with its timestretching bullshit.

-steve

Open up the audio clip and move the Time knob all the way down to 0. It won't stretch the clips anymore, you'll just notice them change size as the song changes tempo (which can also cause problems, unfortunately, depending on the song)

Open up the audio clip and move the Time knob all the way down to 0. It won't stretch the clips anymore, you'll just notice them change size as the song changes tempo (which can also cause problems, unfortunately, depending on the song)

That's exactly what's causing his problem though. Yes, with time stretching off it will play through without letting the song BPM alter its pitch, but if you don't simply play it all the way through from the beginning, the audio clip will be mismatched with the project, when you skip to another part.

My suggestion solves this, but it requires slicing, which he was hoping to avoid having to do.

=\