A rare game I remixed.

Well, I threw this together yesterday to see what else I could do to break away somewhat from my dance/trance music. Here's what I came up with:

The song is from a small Mac OS game called "Monkey Shines" and anyone who's ever owned a Macintosh with the first MacCube series knows this game. The only playable level in this game was called Spooked, and I've always wanted to do a remix to it.

Original: http://www.e-concerto.net/music098273/spooked.mp3

What I did was this kinda industrial/electro thing.

Remix (Ghost's Party): http://www.e-concerto.net/music098273/ghost.mp3

So, any comments and critiques welcome!

I think you may have picked a bad source tune for breaking away from trance...sounds like the kind of thing that really lends itself to trance. anyways...

It doesn't sound like you've done much with the source to make it fit into the industrial genre, it's pretty much identical in mood/atmosphere to the original. I think the biggest problem is the drums. They sound really generic and they don't work if you're going for an industrial sound; I'd try using more electronic/glitch drums. Overall the arrangement just sounds like little more than a sound upgrade of the original.

This doesnt sound bad at all, but it doesnt sound quite industrial to me yet. I think if you want a true industrial sound, you'll need to thicken your soundscape with much more (or much more powerful) sounds. Hi-hats and cymbals that really sizzle hard, and some heavy, in-your-face bass. Your synthwork (pads and underlying synths) is really good, but you'll need much more industrial percussion to put this in that genre. Most of the song sounds like what would be a break in your average industrial song.

I would suggest listening to some industrial remixes on here. Industrial Fear and Strip Mine are two of my favorites, Strip Mine having particularly explosive sounds. I think all you really need to do is step outside the box and really go all out to give this piece the hard hitting texture it needs.

The intro was great. Expected a much bigger kick to come in at :27. Great work on the filter movement.

Overall in the mix it seems like you rely on one dominant sound for each section. The supporting material is feeling stale. Add some more counterpoint or various drum sounds or FX. Marcato strings might go really nice.

The whole build-up in the middle takes way too long to advance some more. The basic feel is great but it needs alot more ear candy and variation on sounds used. The guitar/pads/filtered drums aren't carrying the song for the full 4 mins. Kudos for trying some new genres and tricks though.