*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Dreaming of Schala'

Liontamer

NOTE: Encoding has been fixed.

ReMixer Name: Matt Maiorano

Game Remixed: Chrono Trigger

Song Remixed: Schala's Theme

This song was actually created back in 2004, but I never considered submitting it until now. I also never even played Chrono Trigger until I was a freshman in college. The game was an incredible experience for me, but when I first heard Schala's Theme I was hooked on the song itself. I had even created a separate save file on the emulator where I could hear this song and just listen to it. At that point in time, I had been dabbling in all kinds of trance and techno music and it wasn't until a year later that I actually attempted to remix the song. I took away the main melody, save for a few bits you can still hear with the strings, and focused on the chord structure giving it a more resonating and deeper tone. This allowed me to fit in a heavier beat and bass. Interestingly enough, the program I was using would only allow me to use loops that had already existed in the program itself, so I ended up taking each instrument's loop and broke it up into a single "hit" that I would play over and over again, changing the pitch every time. This allowed me to actually "compose" the music rather than "do absolutely nothing at all". The beats were a little easier, as there were no pitch shifts with the percussion. In the end, I'm very satisfied with my rendition of Schala's Theme, and I still consider it to be one of my greatest works.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Sara's Theme" (ct-3-06.spc)

Glad to get a new version with the encoding bumped up. 80kbps/22kHz was no fun. The production on this one was a little too murky, IMO. Part of the problem with the production ending up so muddy was that the subtle parts were near-inaudible, such as the string pad at 1:09 that was arranging the source (1:18-1:21 was the direct connection).

You also coast entirely too much with the percussion groove you established at 1:09, making the track seem repetitive and dynamically flat with the exception of a brief break from 1:44-2:19. From 3:11 until the end, there was essentially nothing new in terms of the interpretive ideas.

In the event that you're still willing to work on an older piece such as this, develop the arrangement further, establish more dynamic contrast (doesn't have to be drastic), and clean up the production some to get this in better shape. No matter what, good luck on your current musical efforts.

NO

A little too much repetition, not enough control of the track. Seems like the loops kind of invaded the track rather than enhancing it. And it's pretty heavy on mid-low's I'd say. Wouldn't have hurt to get some sizzle and maybe some more melodic bassline action going. Not terrible by any stretch, and of course, I like the melancholy vibe, but I think the mastering needs work, and I never really heard the melody effectively interpreted and represented in the remix.

NO

• 2 weeks later...