Fanfare for Mana (WIP)

Gorgonian14

I'm using all free samples and software (except for FL Studio, which is obviously not free).

Inspired by my last effort having a good chance of getting through the panel and some of the comments from the panel regarding production and brass samples, I have decided my next effort will be extremely heavy in brass writing.

This is my favorite theme from Secret of Mana (and one of my favorite game themes of all time) arranged as a Fanfare and March.

The arrangement is pretty clearly not done, but comments on the direction of the arrangement are welcome and encouraged.

The production is something that will be tweaked constantly to make it sound less muddy. I am using pretty heavy reverb on the back instruments right now and it is extremely muddy as a result. This will be a point of emphasis on this project for me, so don't think it will be ignored.

Comments very much appreciated!

http://pwatts14.googlepages.com/secretofmana2.mp3

Nicely done! The arranging is great while still keeping the music's original beauty. Nice instrumentation, dynamic contrast, and the mix seems well done. Yeah, the samples aren't amazing, but they aren't bad either and you made them sound pretty good.

Just going to throw some things on the table for you because I personally don't have any complaints about what you have written so far: This could easily be a multi-movement (fast slow fast?) if you wanted to go that route. Or even just a slow to a fast movement (using another fast number from the SoM of course). Another thing to consider is to start this with a soloist or something mysterious to set up the low brass that you have starting it.

Keep up the good work. I'll be putting this on my iPod when it's finished for sure :razz:

This arrangement is going to be awesome when you finish it, first of all -- good stuff!

Production-wise, your brass sounds much better (as in crisper and clearer) than your strings...I'm assuming that you will be tweaking production overall as you progress.

Musically, you have a good sense of what you're doing. Since the piece is titled "Fanfare and March", I'm assuming that we're only hearing the fanfare for now. I'm looking forward to hearing the march as well -- how much are you planning on pushing the tempo?

It will be a pretty slow and dark march. There is already a little of the march in between the two fanfare sections. It is a subtle march, but the bassoon and timpani are providing the march. This will be fleshed out in a later section, but will still not be a traditional march. My plans could change, also :)

About the strings, yeah, I have hardly done anything with them except arrange the parts. Not much production on them. I plan on tweaking velocities and balances a lot on them, but it is the best free string soundfont I can find (cadenza strings). It can be made to sound pretty good, but I think it takes a lot of EQ-ing. I will work at it, but I don't think I am very good at that. Any suggestions are welcome.

pretty nice work for free samples;

The main issues you need to focus on are dynamics. There needs to be more crescendos and decrescendos throughout so it breathes a bit more. Adding some timpani rolls to key areas will help in this regard as well.

The high end is a bit underexposed i think, so bringing up a few higher frequencies in the violins and violas (and perhaps some trumpets)will give everything a nicer sheen to it as well.

Arrangementwise it doesn't stray too far from being a theme and variations of the melody, which might be an issue with judges. Try to find a few creative ways to mix up the melody a bit, or add a new original section that pays tribute to the original, but doesnt have the specific melody involved.

Reverb could stand to come down a bit, but it seems things are decently meshed. Ending isn't there. Overall pretty good, just needs some tweaking. :-)

A bit more writing done, march section started (original take on the theme, instead of just another variation of the melody, but main melody will come back strong soon). Still not done or even really close, just need some guidance on what's there so far.

Comments requested.

http://pwatts14.googlepages.com/secretofmana2.mp3