Linux newbie

Schwaltzvald

So yeah after some recent threads I've been interested in trying out Linux, the thing is I realized there are quite probably innumerable amounts of "distros" out there, some popular, some perhaps not even seen the light of day unless googled.

Is there a way I can run a "LiveCD" or what I've learned as a cd/dvd that I can run as a bootable OS on my WinXPPro system without killing the pc and the contents it has..?

I am more interested in building a system specifically for Linux but since I don't have the new rig yet I'd at least like to try out a distro before installing it on the new rig...

I would start with the Ubunutu LiveCD.

Nothing wrong with suggestions but that doesn't answer my question at all..

To be clear...

Is it safe to run a distro, such as Ubuntu, on my current PC, despite it already has Win XP pro installed. Will I be able to try the distro out without killing the PC and its content?

Yes, you can run other OSs from within Windows using Virtual PC. It's really cool.

It (and numerous other virtualization solutions) lets you bypass a lot of barriers and restrictions (like safe, reliable NTFS writes) through abstracting it to the host OS.

But if you want to start learning Linux, I'd suggest booting off a LiveCD/LiveDVD. Ubuntu is good for starters, as it has everything you need, is excessively popular and well supported, and runs on virtually everything with zero configuration. However, it's quite bloated and will run slowly (compared to other distros) on most computers. Another quicker LiveCD you can try is Knoppix. As it uses KDE instead of GNOME as its desktop environment (GUI, window management, desktop, folders, icons, etc) it's got a different feel than Ubuntu. If you like KDE but like Ubuntu's software, you can get Kubuntu, a version of Ubuntu that uses KDE.

There are countless other distributions, with different styles and configurations. I use Gentoo myself, but I wouldn't recommend it to beginners.

I'll second the LiveCD/LiveDVD method, or VMWare if you want. As long as you don't do anything screwy with the filesystems on your drive, you'll be fine. If you use a LiveCD, it will be slow (loading everything off the CDROM), but it usually isn't too bad (My Knoppix disk isn't that slow, but then I have the RAM to load pretty much everything into RAM)

But if you have a spare hard drive, you could also install on a partition on that drive, and dual boot the machine. I have that setup with my Windows PC as well as my PS3. (It runs Linux 99% of the time, unless I want to pop a PS2 disk in to play, or a movie)

But the better way to start is with a LiveCD, and then virtualization, and then take the leap and install a Linux on a second hard disk.