*NO* Soul Blade 'One for the Brave Souls'

Liontamer

Name: Gavin Hunter

Remixer Name: Hip E

E-mail: huntz_man@hotmail.com

Remix Name: One for the brave souls

Game Name: Soul Edge

Original Track Name: Brave Folk Song (Cervantes' Theme)

Link to MP3:

Constructive criticism greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Blade (Game Rip) - 11a "Bravely Folk Song (Cervantes Stage - Original) & 11b "Bravely Folk Song (Cervantes Stage - Arranged)

The sample quality was ok. Could have sounded more grandiose and realistic in light of the writing, as some of it felt a bit flat, but the execution was pretty good. Brass was on the rough side for realism, but that almost goes without saying. For a relatively intimate soundscape, this was good on many levels.

Beyond slowing the original down though, the arrangement comes across as a by-the-numbers small orchestra adaptation. The melodic work has essentially no interpretation, and thereby doesn't feel different enough from the original on that level. I'm not trying to sell it short on the instrumentation changes and new part-writing done here, but the overall package doesn't feel interpretive enough. I'd go for more melodic interpretation to get this on solid ground.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Whoa, mixing here really needs work.. everything sounds kinda muddy and dull, but then at spots like :26 and :31, the hit somehow overrides the entire mix causing massive pumping. That effect sounds really, really bad, especially when it's repeated over and over. Please watch your compression/limiting, normalize after you render, and use EQ to control the low end rumble of a lot of these instruments. This issue alone merits a NO.

Otherwise, I agree with Larry that this is a fairly simple adaptation. Needs some more interesting writing and more melodic interpretation (variation). Change up rhythms more often. Add more percussion that isn't just massive hits and crashes on the downbeat, as that gets very old very quickly. Use our remixing & WIP forums for feedback - keep at it!

NO

I can't imagine that pumping effect being intentional unless this was some kind of electronic mix. I was waiting for some wicked beats to drop in and explode my face.

Alas, my face is intact. :(

As for the arrange, it's pretty straight forward; a lot of sustained chords and unison melody. There was a bit with the harp that I liked, and the bit near end where the rhythmic statement gets passed around was a nice touch, but ultimately it just plods along.

NO