Assigning Samples to Keys on a Midi Controller

tweex

...how do I do it?

Longer version, I need to be able to assign divverent wav files to different to different kets on a midi keyboard in order for some one to trigger them.

My first thought was to just use the ReDrum device, but I'm concerned that there will be more than 10 sounds to trigger, and I will not be the one working the controller or Reason, meaning that this has to be as simple as possible for the operator.

Ideas for how to best go about this?

Cheers!

Use the NN-XT!

1. Put an NN-XT Advanced Sampler in the rack

2. Open up the NN-XT REMOTE EDITOR

3. Click the LOAD SAMPLE folder button

4. Find the sample you're looking for and then double-click it

(Weee, the sample is now in the NN-XT! Let's continue...)

5. The default root key for all newly loaded samples is C3

6. If you'd like to change that, select the sample in the sample list and use the ROOT knob to get to your desired root key.

7. Play the key on your midi controller (assuming you have it currently controlling the NN-XT) and BAM! The sample will play just like that and at it's original pitch and speed.

8. If you'd like to make it so that the sample will play at the root key and the root key ONLY, then (while your sample is selected) set the LO KEY and HI KEY knob values to the root key as well.

(For example, let's say a certain sample has the root key of G#2, if the LO KEY and HI KEY are also assigned G#2 then ONLY when you press G#2 on the midi controller will the play sample, and at it's original pitch and speed as well. It will never play for any other key, or for any other pitch and speed.)

9. If you'd like to load up more samples and assign them to more keys within the same NN-XT (which for your purposes, you do) then just repeat the process starting from step 3.

This is a great way you can assign any sample to any key on a midi controller, whether the midi controller has 1 octave or 8 octaves, the NN-XT can accompany it.

What knives said. NN-XT is ze zupreme maztah of triggering sounds.

just remember to set the sample so it plays through the entire thing. With NN-XT (and I love this to death) it only plays the sample while you hold in the button (I know you can change it, but I've never wanted to) and with redrum it triggers and plays the entire file.

:(

No

that doesnt work.... I recently got a 2nd midi keyboard, and tried that. Locking a keyboard surface to a Reason device doesnt work; the locking surfaces command only works with midi CONTROLLERS not keyboards ie mixers/dials not.. keyboards..>_> (and yes, its right click on a device and choose a device from the list to bind them. you cant use your 'masterkeyboard' even if it has control functions)

What you can do is either tie every individual KEY to an override function or set everything up in a combi. Either way its a bitch for control and programming (imo, but I'm impatient when it comes to live keyboard control). Override is limited, but its pretty funky with the Matrix if your using loops. The best way to go is with the combi. If you have multiple shorter keyboards, you can tie them together in a combi at different octaves. I have an 88key and a 25 key, and can tie them together in the combi, with the 25 key at 7ocv+ (its an Oxygen8v2 so I can specify its octave imput, hope you can do that with yours).