*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Season of Runaways'

Liontamer

Evahn

fungshway@hotmail.com

www.myspace.com/evahnder

The Legend of Zelda

Title Theme

Koji Kondo

After listening to and playing the Zelda theme for many years and in many different keys, I eventually stumbled upon the opening of this song as I was fiddling around on my guitar. I really had to slow down the tempo of the original theme to go along with it, so I was unsure of how it would turn out. Fortunately, it ended up sounding great, and the open acoustic chords really sound amazing with the theme.

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda.zip - Track 1

The multitracking sounds fairly good, but some of the melodic harmonies during the Zelda portion seemed odd, and I'm not sure why that was. Wish I could articulate the performance issues with the leads better, but one of the geetar-slingin' Js should be able to elaborate.

Source didn't show up until 1:39. The backing rhythm during the Zelda portion starting feeling monotonous by the time you reached the end of the section, probably not helped by the sound balance, as the leads didn't really stand out in the foreground. The buzziness with the halting of the Zelda section at 2:59 didn't sound good at all. Moved back into the original writing from the beginning before integrating the source tune intro from 3:39-4:12.

Even treating the end of the arrangement as 4:20 (rather than counting the extended fadeout of the last notes until 4:38), there wasn't enough usage of the Zelda material. This had about 1:53's worth of Zelda stuff in a 4:20-long arrangement, about 43.46% of the track. Like you said, the wholly original writing you added thematically pieces together very nicely with the Zelda title theme. But as far as my call goes, you need to make the Zelda material the dominant part of the equation and get it over 50% of the track. Anything less means the focus ultimately isn't on the video game music.

This is nice, but the adjusting the sound balance of the leads vs. the rhythms would help, as well as tightening some of the performance, and bumping up the Zelda quotient a bit. Hope to see this one again, Evahn.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I do think the rhythm guitar gets repetitive, and I do think the recording could use both some more low-end and a little more clarity in the high-end (though perhaps after some hiss removal), however, I gotta hand out the mad props for doing something with a theme we've all heard a thousand times, a thousand ways, that's new. This has a Kill Bill / spaghetti western feel to it, and it actually took me longer than it should have to recognize the theme, I was so into that whole mental image. I'd like to hear what other judges think and get some more feedback for the remixer, so...

YES

I feel like there's a disproportionate amount of original material in this. Don't get me wrong; like Larry said, it really meshes well with the Zelda material, but I feel like what's there isn't interpreted as enough as could be. The rhythm guitar is repetitive; I think you can try to open it up a little and do some more interesting things, rather than the same rhythm over and over again. Break it up a little; long things together rhythmically, fill in spaces more with counter melodic ideas.

To be fair, I do agree with Dave and Jesse; this is a creative arrangement and it's great to see someone bringing something unique to the table. I really appreciate what I'm hearing.

In the end though, I think that there's still a lot of untapped potential with this piece. Let's hear some more.

NO resub please for the love of zelda

I like what is here a lot. This is very original in terms of the types of submissions that we get;there are interesting melodic fills thoughout and the chord progressions are great to listen to. The only two things that need work (and could really take the mix to another level) is if you could vary the rhythmic section some more and if you can, eq the guitars to add some more high end and/or see if you can organise a cleaner recording. With that you would get a definite yes from me.

NO (Very good candidate for resubmission)