* Email address: trex_41@hotmail.com

* myspace.com/djray759224

Song Info

* Name of game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

* Melting In Your Arms (ice cap)

* the softer trance side of ice cap

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

"the softer trance side of ice cap" - We've heard all sides of IceCap. This isn't terrible, but it's pretty far off as is. The interpretation of the "IceCap Zone" melody isn't there. You're just covering it with that piano sample, then laying all these various other ideas throughout the track. You had some decent ideas adding some countermelodic synths, string work, synth arps, etc. Those ideas combined with the IceCap melody better. But the stuff at the foundation of the track, i.e. the beats, was very vanilla and didn't fill out the track well enough.

We indeed encourage artists to add things to personalize their arrangement and make it unique. But not at the expense of interpreting the actual video game music, which is ultimately what ended up happening.

The mixing was fairly decent, but who knows how much of that was out of the box. Lots of totally generic boom-tss sounds and synths in there though that made the end result sound run-of-the-mill.

Needs more melodic interpretation, creative beatwork, and sophisticated effects and processing. This is at least competant stuff, Trey, which is more than I can say about most first subs we receive. You've definitely got potential, and some of your approach to ReMixing is good. Use our ReMixing and Works forums to learn more about your setup and solicit fan feedback before future submissions. Keep learning more and you can take your ideas and your execution to another level.

NO

Too basic. Too much FL Preset/generic/simple stuff. Didn't sound like you put very much into this one. Basic trance execution with super plain backing. Not to bash the song or anything, it's not bad, it just doesn't sound like you really spent much time on this one. Not that there's a specific amount of time you're required to put into any project or anything, and honestly, I'm sure this is another case of "man, this SO would have been on the front page back in 2001", but it's in fact not 2001 one anymore.

This has been covered. Many times. Both on the site, and in the Judges decisions forum with the dreaded *NO* in the title. The piano lead is verbatim melody coverage, with some Boom tss clap drums, some basic pads, and eventually some trance gating.

Dunno what else to say. Again, I'm not ripping no your track, Trey, and in fact, this is much better than the crap I was producing back when I was first learning the ropes of electronic music and what not. I encourage more practice, and try to work up some sort of *signature/personal* touch to go in your track. If you're gonna do minimalistic trance, that's cool--but just try to put some sort of trademark with it. It'll be way cooler in the end. Otherwise it would just be "that one trance Ice Cap mix by some dude."

Keep at it, bro.

NO

Hmm, never heard the source before. Not a bad choice.

Well to be honest, I do like this. It evokes the cool feeling of the classic IceCapped, by McVaffe. It does have a nice, smooth sound to it.

Problem is, there's not a lot of interpretation of the melody. You really need to mess around with the hook more; playing it backwards is not enough, though it is a nice touch.

Break it apart, syncopate it, riff on it, do more with it. You have a good ear for this kind of thing, so you're not wasting your time here. There are some nice ideas here, but you need to rachet things up a little. Work towards a more sophisticated sound design and arrangement.

GO FOR THE GOLD MAN

Yeah. NO, but keep at it. Hope to see you on OCR someday.