Single VST Instrument to multiple tracks?

Ok, so as I mentoined in a Remixing thread, I'm looking to possibly get EWQLSO Silver, but I want to make sure I understand that I'll be able to use it effectively before I buy it.

Basically, I'm wanting to use the FL workflow, so I was planning on using it as a VST instrument. However, I was wondering if there's any way to route several different sounds to different tracks (not mixer tracks, step sequencer tracks) from a single instance of EWQL, rather than loading an instance of EWQL for every single instrument and killing my computer's resources (or would it be ok?).

Anyone with experience with VST's/EWQLSO that can help?

Yes, any sampler worth its salt (eg. Kompakt, which is included with QLSO) can load multiple independent sounds. It would be a pretty useless plugin if it couldn't do that. All you have to do is set QLSO VST to any given port - it's the LED in the upper right corner of the FL wrapper - then create "MIDI Out" channels pointing to that port. So for example, let's say you pick port 2. You create a MIDI Out and set it to port 2. Then, the MIDI channel of the MIDI Out corresponds with the instrumenet you have loaded. By default, when you load an instrument, it starts at channel 1 and rises by 1 each new one you load.

However, you can set them to whatever you want within the QLSO plugin. You can have 2 violin and 1 viola patch all on MIDI channel one, then timpani on channel 13. Or whatever.

• 2 months later...

(ressurection post)

Thanks for the info, Zirc, I just picked up EWQLSO Silver, but am having trouble with one thing: note velocities. I'm using Midi Out channels to control the different instruments loaded in the Orchestra plugin, however, it's not picking up the different note velocites in the piano roll for the Midi Out channel. In other words, no matter what velocity I set the note to in the piano roll, the sound is playing at the same volume level.

I've tried looking through the manual on both FL Studio and EWQLSO but haven't found anything explaining why this would happen. The only thing I can find is that velocity data IS transferable from a midi controller, so I don't understand why it's not working. Anyone that can help with this?

maybe the velocity curve is turned off. I think you want the 1:1 velocity curve for most purposes.

EDIT

How do you route the same channel to different mixer slots? Say I have a chello and a violin loaded up in the kompakt player. Chello is on midi 1 and violin on midi 2. How do I get the sounds from midi 2 to go to a different mixer track than the sounds from midi 1?

(because I want to process the two instruments differently)

Thanks

maybe the velocity curve is turned off. I think you want the 1:1 velocity curve for most purposes.

EDIT

How do you route the same channel to different mixer slots? Say I have a chello and a violin loaded up in the kompakt player. Chello is on midi 1 and violin on midi 2. How do I get the sounds from midi 2 to go to a different mixer track than the sounds from midi 1?

(because I want to process the two instruments differently)

Thanks

Can't find anything wrong with the velocity curves or settings. It's actually only happening on a few specific articulations. One example is 18V SUS VIB DXF LEG PDL KS.

As far as one channel to different mixer slots in Kompakt, you have to do a few steps. Make sure Enable Multiple Outputs is on. Open the Kompakt player and look under the Multi section. Under the transpose box you should see a forked symbol with a number like 1/2 after it. This means that the selected output is going to mixer slot 1 (1/2 refers to the right and left stereo of that mixer I believe). So, assuming EWQLSO itself is assigned to mixer track 2, then the outputs with 1/2 would go to mixer track 2. Outputs 3/4 would go to track 3, 5/6 would go to track 4, etc.

Make sure Enable Multiple Outputs is on ---

What if this isn't showing up

yes I know where it is SUPPOSED to be, but it's not there??? I click the upper left of plugin window and look for check enable multiple outputs, but I am simply not seeing it. Did I accidently change something in the options?

Ok, so I've figured out what's causing this to happen, but I'm no closer to getting these patches to work how I wanted them:

Instruments with DXF (dynamic cross-fade) ignore Note velocity settings, but instead use the Mod Wheel to control dynamics/timbre changes. Problem is, I don't record via any sort of midi controller with a mod wheel - I click in notes in the piano roll.

There is a mod wheel on the Kompakt player, but I have no idea how to map it to any sort of controller to set it to the desired value for each note. Even if I could get that done, though, I still have the problem that the mod wheel appears to be a global setting for the Kompakt player, so it would adjust the velocity of all of my loaded samples in the current instance rather than just the selected instrument (or at least I'm assuming, I can't even test it at this point).

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. In case anyone wants to know, assign a free control knob on the Midi Out channel to C01, which controls the mod wheel for the instrument. Then, create an automation clip controlling that wheel so you can change the settings on the timeline. A bit of a change in workflow for me, but it should mean better sounding dynamic changes.

Is there anyone with experience using EWQLSO and FL Studio that can help?

Make sure Enable Multiple Outputs is on ---

What if this isn't showing up

yes I know where it is SUPPOSED to be, but it's not there??? I click the upper left of plugin window and look for check enable multiple outputs, but I am simply not seeing it. Did I accidently change something in the options?

Use the arrow next to the folder icon, not the plugin icon.