*NO* F-Zero 'Rhapsody on a Theme of F-Zero'

Liontamer

Track Name: Rhapsody on a Theme of F-Zero

Game: F-Zero

ReMixer name: Adventure Committee

Inspired by JigginJonT (I'd like that to be mentioned, as the very end quotes his "The Flood Plain")

This is electronical, made with Reason V3.0. This is not an actual performance.

--------------------------------------------------------------

In an almost karmic sense of timing, I mentioned a couple of days ago in a Submissions Standards discussion thread that people subbing particularly poor encodings of tracks is just stupid, because it shows people 1) clearly have no idea what the site is about, and 2) people aren't reading our submissions instructions thoroughly, only to be followed with some absolute crap sent in at 64kbps/22kHz.

This sub, at 96kbps/32kHz isn't as bad, but where are your heads at guys? Do you guys listen to anything recently that we post? Why are you gonna send a 2:47-long track with this type of shitty encoding. It just sacrifices sound quality.

Bleh, getting off the high horse, let's move on to this [sic] electronical (non-)performance...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=fz - "Port Town" (fz-07.spc)

Well, the sequencing sounds isn't poor, but it still doesn't sound very realistic. The "performance" aspect of the presentation has some flow, but the timing is still too perfect. Perhaps study some of JigginJonT's live piano pieces to get more a feel for humanizing your own pieces. 2:02 rehashed the intro section with some added material. Where was the ending? 2:34 wasn't much of one. I guess that was the JJT quote, but it didn't add much.

While the arrangement is interpretive, there composition lacks complexity and sophistication in the writing, and the overall sound doesn't have the grace, power or body inherent in playing a real piano. There's essentially no attention given to dynamics or tempo in terms of making the composition develop. Without any meaningful highs and lows, it's stuck in 2nd gear the whole time. I'd hesitate to even call it that. More like 1.5 gears.

This isn't half bad, but it's also far off in terms of the bar here. Use our ReMixing forums to ask questions and learn more about sequencing for solo piano. There are definitely a number of artists who could give you some good feedback and pointers.

NO

this is pretty good. i don't know if you intended this to sound like a duet, but there are parts that would only be feasible with four hands in play.

i disagree with LT re: the composition lacking sophistication or dynamics. the composition itself is somewhat sophisticated and dynamic, that just doesn't come through in the execution.

the sequencing is robotic, and your piano sample is nothing to write home about. this would probably sound awesome on a real piano, but you'd need either two people playing, or overdubs.

also, while I'm flattered by the quote at the end, it doesn't really fit into your arrangement at all, and sounds really random. thanks though.

anyway, you've got enough musicality for this kind of thing, you just need to up your production skills, or get a live recording in the works somehow.

cheers.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. Very mechanical. We are not robots! We are men of blood and bone!

Seriously you need to give this some serious attention in terms of humanization. Get people to play it if you can. Like Larry said, there's no power there, no grace. It's like a player piano (sitting in a very reverby concert hall, I might add).

Needs dynamics and humanization.

NO