Suteki da ne - English vocals?

dj_ultima

First time poster, long time listener.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has considered doing an English vocal remix of "Suteki da ne." from Final Fantasy X. If you're familiar with the Platinum Edition English version of "Somnia Memorias" from the Parasite Eve Remixes OST, that's kind of what I'm getting at. As far as I know, it's never been attempted, either officially or as a fan remix (feel free to correct me on this one if I'm wrong, though).

I know that there are some good vocalists and lyricists on this site, and I hope that this may spark the interest of a few of them. Thanks for your time. :smile:

- Jen

• 2 weeks later...

It's not really a translation that they're looking for exactly, it's more like making a translation fit so that it can be sung. If you look at the first line, there's no way that can be sung and sound good.

It's not terribly hard to do, but trying to stay close to the original words (or translation) and get good emphasis on the right words makes it more difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for such a late reply, folks.

It's not really a translation that they're looking for exactly, it's more like making a translation fit so that it can be sung. If you look at the first line, there's no way that can be sung and sound good.

To add on to this, there's always the option of going the route of Kingdom Hearts' "Hikari" --> "Simple and Clean," where you completely rewrite the song (assuming the Japanese translations I have seen are correct, of course).

It'd be a lot better to avoid that, I think, as it completely kills the beauty of the song to remove its real meaning, even if the new lyrics sound good. I'll take a look at the translation Senshi provided more in depth later; maybe I can rework the lyrics myself somehow. I dunno, though. While writing is definitely my strong suit... lyric-writing... maybe not so much. If I come up with anything decent, I'll post it, but feel free to throw out any suggestions, of course.

Thanks for the replies, folks. ^_^

- Jen

To add on to this, there's always the option of going the route of Kingdom Hearts' "Hikari" --> "Simple and Clean," where you completely rewrite the song (assuming the Japanese translations I have seen are correct, of course).

It'd be a lot better to avoid that, I think, as it completely kills the beauty of the song to remove its real meaning, even if the new lyrics sound good. I'll take a look at the translation Senshi provided more in depth later; maybe I can rework the lyrics myself somehow. I dunno, though.

I have to disagree. Translations will be different depending on the purpose, and lyric translation more than anything requires a lot of creativity. You already have the Japanese lyrics and translation available, so if you want the original meaning, there's always the original song. It's better to look at this as writing new lyrics altogether, and trying to convey the meaning of the song as a whole, instead of the meaning line-by-line.

By the way, I'd be really happy if either Pixietricks or DragonAvenger sung this one. KF