*NO* Sonic CD (US) 'Lightspeed Marathon'

Liontamer

Too liberal? Too liberal! No way? No way! - LT

Mixer name: Bren

Forum name: Bren

Game: Sonic CD (US soundtrack)

Track: Stardust Speedway - Bad future (included in the zip)

Title: Lightspeed Marathon

Too far from the original? You decide. Originally I wrote this as a side project, not necessarily a remix, and just kept adding more elements from the original. It was always intended to sound similar to the original, but what I'm wondering now is if it's close enough or not for it to be accepted as a remix on OCR. If it's not, then at least I hope you'll enjoy listening to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sonic the Hedgehog Boom - (02) "Stardust Speedway-Bad Future"

Wouldn't mind zircon or another theory guy to deconstruct this, but from an interpretation perspective, I indeed thought it was too liberal once I compared this with the source. (Thanks for providing it, BTW.)

The source had melodies to use, and I didn't hear them in play here at all as far as I could tell. What's here is stylistically similar to the source but that's it. I'd even argue the overall instrumentation and feel copies the original too closely. If the melodies had been close, it might as well have just been the Sonic CD song. The arrangement itself is also way too repetitive and underdeveloped, beyond a key change and some added guitar on top at 2:12. More variation and development of the concept would have been great for the track in general.

Production-wise though, the best work I've ever heard from you, Bren. A bit cramped, but everything was otherwise sounding pretty good. I've heard some pretty weak sounds from you in the past, but everything seems to have taken a nice step up in terms of the treatment.

So really, I don't see enough at all to make this a viable arrangement or different enough with the sounds to give this a unique, personalized style. Ultimately, that makes it pretty cut-and-dry as far as the standards go, but you had an idea of that yourself. Mainly wanted to praise the production strides you've made here. Looking forward to future work from you that's less liberal and more overtly interpretive.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Piano riff at :08 to :15 in the remix SEEMS to correspond with the synth chord progression right off the bat in the source tune. But it's not quite playing the same chords, even though the rhythms are the same as the synth in the original. The underlying way the harmony moves in the remix does match up with that of the original (not 1:1, structurally) but that aside, I'm not hearing the melodic connection. The guitars are close though.

Production isn't bad, but conceptually it's very similar to the way the original is set up. As strange as it sounds, try to be a little MORE interpretive with your concept, while being, uh, less interpretive with the melodies. ;)

NO

(11:43:15pm) (@DarkeSword) «Listening to: http://www.ocremix.org - Bren - Sonic CD Lightspeed Marathon OCSubmission» «Type !darkemusic to download»

(11:43:17pm) (@DarkeSword) same key

(11:43:47pm) (@DarkeSword) oh wow

(11:43:50pm) (@DarkeSword) hahaha

(11:43:52pm) (@DarkeSword) you know what this is?

(11:44:16pm) (@DarkeSword) This is what they would use on a TV Special about Sonic CD if they couldn't get the copyright to use the original music from the game.

(11:44:20pm) (@DarkeSword) xD

(11:44:31pm) (@zircon) haha

(11:44:51pm) (@DarkeSword) It's a sound-alike!

Pretty neat actually! It's got a nice rockin' sound to it. I like.

However, we cannot ignore the fact that it doesn't really use the source; it's another song that's extremely similar to the source. An admirable acheivement, but ultimately not what we're looking for.

I'm keeping this.

NO