*NO* Mega Man X 'Zero’s Final Stand'

Liontamer

Hello, I would like to make the following Submission:

Zero’s Final Stand (MP3 128kbs 6:08min 5.61MB)

Contact Information:

Remixer Name: DJ-Arthur

Email Address: arthur@studio88.nl

UserID: 20864

Submission Information:

Name of Game: Mega Man X

Songs Mixed: The song where Zero is Dying

Theme of Zero

Spark Mandrill Stage (Just one Riff)

Comments:

Well, I recently started Mega Man X again at a Friend’s house, and remembered how fascinating the music was when I first played the game. As a matter of fact, the first time Zero Self-destructed and died, I had tears in my eyes… Remembering this moment, I tried to capture that feeling and bottle it in this arrangement. The way the Acoustic Guitar brings forth the story, I think it almost touches one’s soul. When the really MMX-like sounding Overdriven Guitar comes in, ah well, just listen and get carried away (I hope haha) I’m pretty sure I’ve done a good job, but that’s for you guys to decide ;)

Greetzzz,

DJ Arthur

http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?profile=set&selected=1650

mmx-05.spc - "Zero 1"

mmx-06.spc - "Zero 2"

Pretty cool mood through the intro. Very sad. Then the sole acoustic guitar synth type instrument comes in playing "Zero 1" but it just seemes kind of sparse, especially considering it is a synth rather than a real guitar. It is sequenced realistically, but overall there's not a lot of stuff going on, and the actual interpretation of the source tunes is pretty direct. Not a lot of variation. At 2:41 some beats come in which really sound out of place. None of the sounds fit the atmosphere of the song. The clap sounds like it belongs in a trance song and the kick + hats sound like a Sean Paul reggae kind of beat. The overdriven guitar sounds about as good as the one in the original source tunes, which is to say, not very ;)

There is a level of variation and interpretation on the themes, but considering how sparse most of the track is, I don't really think it's enough. Needs more meat, and more arrangement ideas to fill up the 6 minute space. Revise the percussive parts and find a new e.guitar lead as well - they definitely don't fit as is. You'll be on the right track if you do this. Don't forget to use the Remixing and WIP forums.

NO

Opened up pretty close to the source, but with an interesting enough instrumentation approach. Immediately, one sees what zirc was talking about with the spareseness.

At :56, the guitar synth was definitely not up to the challenge of a more leading role, with the sequencing being decent but still mechanical. Having it all by itself from 1:11-1:40 was just a bad move, and only exposed the sample further. The trance synths and vox brought in after 1:40 didn't fill out the soundfield enough, and of course the vox movements sounded robotic as well.

Drum and claps brought in at 2:36 are repetitively written and had 0 place in here, not meshing with the other instrumentation that was used. The electric guitar synth added at 3:54 was screeching up a storm, with a terrible tone and mechanical-sounding sequencing.

Indeed, besides getting a better ear for picking sounds that click together, and learning more about adequately filling out the soundfield, the arrangement should have been more interpretive beyond your genre adaptation. Kind of difficult to recommend which aspect of your music you need to work on more, because neither arrangement nor production were setting the world on fire. At the end of the day though, I'd say stick with learning more about writing, but when learning how to make various sounds work together properly, you're likely gonna have to learn composition and production hand-in-hand. Keep at it.

NO

Feel like all I ever do these days is echo Larry and Andy. Your acoustic guitar sample sounds horribly fake and needs to be sequenced with humanization in mind. I don't understand the point in using such a warbly background pad when you could do so much better other things like sustained strings, choir, etc. The reverb on the percussion is just too much; there's a horrible echo effect on the clap; sound like the reverb was compressed. The overdrive guitar just doesn't work. Everything around 4:30 starts sounding ridiculously messy.

One of the biggest problems with this piece is just too much reverb on everything. The piece is soaking in it in a very bad way. The acoustic guitar has these low strums that bleed together and cause a lot of destructive, dissonant interference in the low frequencies that end up sounding jarring.

You need to think a lot more about balance between your instruments, get some better samples, and not use reverb so much. And believe me that's something coming from me, because I abuse reverb like no man should.

NO