*NO* Mega Man 3 'The Antagonist'

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: Garret Graves

E-Mail Address: metalgarret@gmail.com (same as above)

Forums ID: GarretGraves

Song: The Antagonist

Remix Of: Boss Theme

Track from: Mega Man 3 (NES)

Comments:

I composed a metal remix for the boss theme from Mega Man 3 because I've been playing the main melody over and over on guitar for years just as something to fiddle with. Playing it brought me back to my old childhood days of doing nothing but playing guitar and playing Nintendo with my friends. So I decided to combine my two loves in my life. Metal and video games.I tried composing a remix before but it turned out badly and there were many mistakes in the rhythm I came up with. That was a few years ago. Now that I've become more educated in music, I thought I'd give it another go with a completely revamped version of my old one with more accuracy to the original track. I ran into some problems with this. Primarily the lead guitar being in tune with the rhythm guitar during the main theme. I'm GUESSING that's how the original sounds. I kept analyzing the game version to get as close as possible and I don't know if it's possible to get anymore accurate with a metal sound. The other thing is, to get the file to at least VERY CLOSELY comply with the submission instructions, I went with a bit rate of 160kb. I'm still slightly over 6megs. (6.38 to be exact) I'm hoping this isn't too much of a problem. The only instrument not being played by me are the drums. I used Fruity Loops for those. I also harmonized any guitar part possible that didn't totally obstruct the song. If anything it gave it just the right amount of color.

Anyways, enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------

We're not gonna post stuff over the filesize limit. We've had people ask being even closer to 6MB. If we make one exception, we have to make any exceptions. Nice try though. Doesn't hurt to ask, but nah.

Just noting, if you wanted to get closer to the original, you could have used the NotSo Fatso plug-in for Winamp and disabled whatever channels you needed in order to isolate what you want.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman3.zip - Track 13 ("Boss")

Aside from the audible recording hiss, nice original opening. I'm a sucker for guitar work with those type of serene effects. Here's it's pulled off pretty nicely. Moved over into the source tune at :55.

1:21-2:06, the rhythm guitar and drumwork here were serviceable, but otherwise bland IMO. You're trying to get close to the style of the original, but to me you've sacrificed interpretation and personal flavor in the attempt to mirror the original. Hate to say it, but I'd argue you sacrificed energy as well, as I felt the original, as simple as it was, was more driving than this. That's not to say or imply this is poor, but the supporting instrumentation isn't that powerful, and could use more bite. Also, if you're gonna play the melody straight, you should be compensating with some creatively written support instrumentation. That's just in keeping up with the arrangement/interpretation bar we have here.

Moved over into some original material from 2:09-2:36. 2:37-2:59 featured some soloing on top of the background pattern of the source tune, before moving back into the source from 3:03-3:15. Then some wholly original material before finally going back to the source from 4:15 until the end, again with the straight melody and bland support instrumentation ideas.

I definitely felt like the original sections were a good ideas in concept. While they didn't sound out of place alongside the arranged portions, many of them didn't lift up the overall track either IMO. Sections like 3:28-3:50, they're just kind of...there. You could probably think up something that fits better and is more exciting.

Pretty good first sub, Devin. There's a lot of good things in place, but this still hasn't realized its potential by a long shot. When dealing with the source, you can stand to do a lot more with it creatively, rather than just adapting it for a rock piece. Change the melody, the rhythms, the support, anything to spice this up and give it a more unique flavor. The original sections/solos can't be the only really new material offered up, as they have nothing to do with the source tune.

NO

There's some clipping at :38, just thought I'd get that out of the way. The transition at :56 is really abrupt and doesn't connect with the intro at all. The freq spectrum once the whole 'band' starts playing doesn't sound full, either.. very much lacking energy/power as Larry said. I'm not sure why you're riffing on Bb in the rhythm guitar, sounds really weak.. why not play on the tonic, Eb? Would sound WAY heavier & better. In fact, in general, the main melody just doesn't sound right over your harmonies. You definitely need to rethink what's going on with the chords. Same kinda thing at 3:29 or so through 3:51, something is off.

I liked the original material you added (such as at 2:10) but as Larry pointed out, when you are actually working with the source melody, you need to do more to have interesting supporting writing and variation/embellishment rather than a more straightforward approach.

In general, performances are good, arrangement concept is good, drum/bass sequencing is on-target. However this needs more meat on the bones in terms of the interpretation of the source, and definitely could use some production touchups to make things sound more full. Lastly, re-examine the (power) chords you're using underneath the main MM3 melody, something doesn't seem right.

Good luck!

NO

Guitar performances totally rock my socks, so nice job there. I do think you need to interpret the source tune a little more; I like your original sections, but the don't have much to do with the source tune, do they? They're nice, but let's hear some more creative takes on the game material.

Certainly not a bad piece of music, to be sure. Quite fun actually. Just needs a little more. NO, RESUB PLZ