*NO* Tetris (GB) 'Blocoustic Rock!'

Liontamer

Poorly produced, but fun enough to throw up here - LT

Remixer Name: MarquisMark

e-mail address: flyttyrell@hotmail.com

Game arranged: Tetris (GB / DS)

Name of individual song arranged: Korobeiniki (Game A)

Comments: Just a little acoustic arrangement with a couple of solos/harmony bits I made up for intro/outro parts.

This is pretty fun to listen to, but ultimately it's way too repetitive for the 2:51 length, which is saying something. I don't find it that interpretive either. You've got a nice intro, and there's some harmony at the end there, but you've got to do more than that. Hell the interpretive stuff you had was a lot of fun, so give it another shot and go the extra mile or two. Right now it just chugs along. The only thing that stops it from getting annoying by the time it's done is the short length.

In any case, I'm not sure I can speak to the production values of this, as I'm not, by any means, an expert on recording; perhaps one of our instrumentalist Js could give you some pointers.

NO

Oh and just so you know, my little brother Nabeel (12 years old) heard me listening to this and let me know that he liked it.

Intro has some pretty creative and interpretive ideas. I was disappointed that the material that followed stuck rather closely with the original in terms of harmony and melody. Do more fun stuff with the melody! Change the harmonies up more, do some soloing, add your own original sections, do more counter-melodic stuff and add extra riffs (you started doing this at the end.) Based on the intro alone, I think you easily have the ability to do this. Right now, it's too repetitive and close to the original past the intro.

Performances all seemed quite good across the board. Unfortunately I'm not on a great listening system in the moment, but the recording quality generally seemed solid.. I think the issue is that it sounds quite overcompressed. Leave more headroom for the loud notes, and only lightly compress/limit things (of course, normalize the final product too.) Frequency balance, as far as I can tell on this system, is good. The dynamics processing is what needs work.

Nice shot, good ideas in the intro and some of the material later on, but go the extra mile, like Darke said. :)

NO

Funny to read DS mentioning his little brother enjoying the mix. I haven't lived with my mother for years, but back when I started on the panel in '03, she heard me listening to a Tetris mix and told me she enjoyed it, though she did because it was based off the Russian folk music. In any case, Tetris is always a crowd favorite.

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/tetris.zip - Track 2 ["A-Type (Korobeiniki)"]

The intro until :37 was definitely interpretive, but really you just kept the rhythms and changed the notes. Not sure if I can really count that per se, the "faux-James Bond theme for copyright avoidance" approach where a local commercial changes the notes enough to ape a popular theme's structure without getting sued. Thinking it over, it's viable, but I just don't know how I'd feel about an entire arrangement approached that way.

Anyway, the production was actually pretty poor. Bunch of the higher frequencies sounded like they were gutted, leaving a really lossy feel to the audio. When the melody arrived at :37, the audio had a bad-sounding quasi-skipping effect. As zircon mentioned, not much headroom in the piece; you could barely tell it was in stereo, it was so crowded until the last few seconds.

Yeah, the supporting guitar work was basic but cool, but there was basically 0 melodic interpretation. Some additional support was added at 1:33, which was at least something as DarkeSword alluded to, but ultimately not enough in the big picture.

You're definitely gonna need a cleaner recording. Only an A-grade arrangement could get away with the weak sound quality here. Use the ReMixing forum here for advice on that.

As zircon mentioned, from the intro you seem like you COULD do some interpretive stuff with theme, you just ended up not doing so, resulting in a cookie-cutter cover. Nothing wrong with that if that's all you aim to do, and it's all fine and good for the undemanding. But it you aim to get it up here, read up on the Submission Standards, particularly Section 4, Part 2 regarding Arrangement. zircon alluded to several of the techniques there, so keep those in mind and add some spice to this borscht.

NO