Legend of Zelda: Dungeon Dance

darkender

Well, I like the instrument that plays right before the beat comes in, but it sounds sort of grating when there are two of them. Keep that one playing one part and then find another to play the other.

The middle has a bit of a generic (not in a terrible way, but it's certainly more bad than good) beat, but I really like the bass.

On the whole, it seems to just be new instruments playing the original's melody with a (completely generic) beat below it. This sounds like it could be good if you added something melodically your own.

wow, for a techno remix this is pretty minimalistic sounding. That soundscape needs more filling out. I like the synths you're using though. The clap and drums need to be brought out more as well...that's a major issue with me too (I hate drum mastering). Also they need some more variety too (the drums).

Not a bad attempt, keep at it ;)

The hobo is right. It's essentially a six-track tune, tho there's some instrumental changes.

Matt's right about the original content - there needs to be some. Right now it sounds like you've taken a MIDI and added drums, something the OCR guidelines doesn't allow in a submission.

4. Arrangement

2. The arrangement must be substantial and original.

•Submissions must be different enough from the source material to clearly illustrate the contributions, modifications, and enhancements you have made. Acceptable arrangement often involves more than one of the following techniques:

••Modifying the genre, chord progression, instrumentation, rhythms, dynamics, tempo, or overall composition of the source material

••Adding original solos, transitions, harmonies, counter-melodies, lyrics, or vocals to the source material

•Taking the original game audio and simply adding drum loops or using an existing MIDI file and assigning new instruments does not qualify as substantial or original arrangement.

•Submissions should be long enough to convey arrangement; generally, this requires at least two minutes of material.

To me, it sounds like you've still got some ways to go before you're qualified for a submission, according to the submission guidelines. When it comes to dance tunes, look at the works of Blind, especially what he did for the FFVII and DK projects (albums), as well as his more recent works. I'm a big fan of his FFX piece, too.

--

So, individual criticisms and pieces of advice

The first melody synth sounds cheap. I think the backing one works, but not the main one. When the main theme then comes in with the more trancy instrument, it works better. Sound sound like it's ripped from game audio. I'd recommend using the same instrument for the intro, only with a heavy cutoff to make it smoother.

There's not enough attack in the bass drum, and the other drums are also weak. Use a compressor on the bass drum, maybe on the snare/clap as well. See if you can find some nice crashes, maybe a reverse one, to mark key changes in the remix, such as when the "chorus" comes in, or ends, or both.

The bass could use some more depth. Might be just my speakers, but that's how it sounds to me. I'd shove it an octave further down, but depending on the sample/synth, that could just as well just make it slow, solving one problem by causing another.

There's not enough original content.

So, listen to Blind, and see how you can improve. Good luck!