Contact Information

Remixer name: Gluon

email: rcusters@orange.nl

userid: 22751

Submission Information

Name of the game song: Pilot wings 64

Name of de individual song: Hanglider Stage

Other info: Nintendo 64

Comments: I’ve remixed this track because it has a great melody you can use for typical trance track.

Hardware and software: The track is produced in Ableton and Reason with a Roland JP8000 synthesizer, other softsynths I used where the Pro-53 and Nexus.

I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Remco a.k.a Gluon

• 2 weeks later...

Right off the bat I'm noticing the stiffness of the sequence. Need some humanity in the rhythms and velocities.

Ah...it's a 4 on floor thing. What's here isn't bad, but it's certainly not revolutionary. The body of the track is fairly repetitive, which is superbad because the track is short. You really need to try adding a section or two to change the dynamics. There's just not enough here.

NO

Cool source tune choice. Never really heard much of the Pilotwings 64 soundtrack besides "Birdman", so this source was a welcome change of pace. The original here is a pretty nice composition.

http://www.zophar.net/usf/pw64usf.rar - "Hang Glider"

Not too much to add to what Vigilante and zyko have criticized. Some sort of pop at :41. This was a pretty basic 4-on-the-floor genre adaptation, showing how well this theme works in this setting IMO.

I didn't mind the rigid sequencing much; as zyko said, par for the course in this genre. Beyond the genre adaptation though, not too much going on with the interpretation, with most of the meaningful variations coming not from the lead or the beats, but from the supporting instrumentation sprinkled in the background. Still, this had some observable dynamic changes; nothing very pronounced though.

I did enjoy the dropoff at 2:46. The rebuilding into the barebones groove at 3:14 was something slightly different, but a pretty limited idea for the closing section, and didn't feel very different from the previous sections that included the melody and some other sounds. The vox sequencing from 3:42-4:01 to end this was ultra-fake.

This would have been gold maybe 3-4 years ago, but the standards have risen. Part of the reason this lacks nowadays as far as the standards go is because these textures are relatively simplistic; there really could be more going on here, not just in the evolution of the composition/arrangement, but also more textural density and complexity. This was definitely in the right direction in terms of changing the feel of the source, but didn't maximize the potential of what can be done in this genre. Definitely could use some more ideas to spice this up. An enjoyable first sub, Remco; keep working on it and see where else you can take this.

NO (resubmit)