Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Forest Interlude

Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzyechgthjt

Before you rate... this mix isn't really a remix, but a "rebirth" as I like to call it. I like recreating songs to be as close as possible to its original source, but bring a breath of fresh air to it. I don't think it's something that would be posted on this site. However, I'd still like your views on my stuff.

Also, the song is rather quiet. I have limited knowledge on compressors, limiters, etc. I plan on remastering every song I've created once I've gone to the course for Logic Studio.

Enjoy.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[ ] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[ ] Too quiet

[ ] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[ ] Generic/cliche sound choices

[ ] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[ ] Timing not tight enough

[ ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness

[ ] Poorly recorded

[ ] Bad intonation

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[ ] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[ ] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[ ] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

[write here]

whoa, what a huge checklist of possible mistakes. Fortunately, I've found none of those here. Pretty good piece. Overall,the composition and the arrangement is pretty good, i like the instruments, and the production you've put into it. The piece is a bit far from the original. Doesn't sound exactly like it: in fact, it does sound BETTER, while staying close to the source (in the overall feeling), it has a pretty different arrangement. Somehow this reminds me of Bart Kepka's music (Another OCremixer, I highly encourage you to check his music)

One thing: The sampled-chinese-violin, on 1:54 sounds fake. Try not to put so many notes together!. Remember you're using samplers, not real instruments.

Other than that, bravo. Good work, man.

Well, I simply copied the list from the FAQ. :P

Thank you for your comments. I will check that remixer out.

Should I perhaps change the Chinese violin altogether? The only reason I used it is due to the lack of a harmonica instrument in Logic Studio. I loved the sound of the instrument, but it's attack (and the echo effects) were very stubborn. I could always lower the velocity of the notes you specified. It means it will be harder to hear those notes (if at all), but at least it won't sound fake.

Well, I simply copied the list from the FAQ. :P

Thank you for your comments. I will check that remixer out.

Should I perhaps change the Chinese violin altogether? The only reason I used it is due to the lack of a harmonica instrument in Logic Studio. I loved the sound of the instrument, but it's attack (and the echo effects) were very stubborn. I could always lower the velocity of the notes you specified. It means it will be harder to hear those notes (if at all), but at least it won't sound fake.

The chinese violin is allright. I love its sound too. Just be careful on 1:54. What could also work is to put a quick-attack instrument playing the melody in unison (such as a keyboard?)

(some bart klepka http://www.ocremix.org/artist/4366/bart-klepka He has more stuff somewhere)