OCR02154 - *YES* Cave Story 'The Angels of Hell'

DragonAvenger

Well for the last 4 years, I have had one remix posted each year. So if I want to keep that going I had better hurry up.

Artist: Random Hero

Song Title: The Angels of Hell

Game Source: Cave Story (PC and Wii Versions)

Original Writer: Pixel

Source Songs:

· Scorching Back (Wii Version)*:

· Main Theme**: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9feeYHL1c

· Running Hell***: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1VTkwllQ8Q

May – Aug 2010

* into

** bits used in a couple places in the song

*** main source

This remix came about from watching my brother, known as ‘jmr’ on the site, playing Cave Story, and in particular, a special level which has become known as Hell, and name well earned. He spent hours trying to finish it and to my knowledge still hasn’t. But the music that plays during that level caught my ear and I knew something good be done with it and “The Angels of Hell” is the result.

"Epical epicness": First, the title refers to the angel like bad guys called Bute which swarm the level by the hundreds.

For this song I really tried to make the instruments sound more real using many more of the advanced features in my sample library that I haven’t touched before. Things like Key switching. Samples recorded with mics positioned in different places with respect to the instrument being sampled and so on, but it is still hard to get the realism of the actual instrument and musician playing the material. What I wouldn’t give to hear an actually professional orchestra to play this or any of my songs. One can dream!

Ryan

--------------------------

- Scorching Back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL3xqOexk6w - Main Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1VTkwllQ8Q - Running Hell

It's pretty obvious there was a lot of work put into this. I liked a lot of the different ways you treated the instruments, and this is a pretty cool adaption of the source material. I found the transition from Scorching Back to the Title Theme to be a little weak (felt a little too 'medley'), but the other transitions were pretty solid. The 'evil rising strings' was pretty awesome, and featuring the cello (my ever so favorite string instrument) was a good choice for the more anxious feel. Arrangement overall is very nice!

There were times where the playing overall feels a little mechanical, although it's not a deal breaker in anyway. Aside from that, balance is very nice, and there's a good use of dynamics overall.

Pretty easy decision on this, loved listening,

YES

I loved that "magical moment" string vamp at the beginning of the piece, really set the tone for something exciting to happen. The only reason this wasn't DP'd was some mechanical sequencing, specifically some of the lower exposed strings, where the velocity sounded a little high for the line.

Arrangement is sick, and the sequencing overall is very strong. Fantastic pacing and execution, and a really exciting flow. Very, very good work. :-)

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

The sample were pretty good, though it was still too obvious everything was sequenced. Refining your articulations is always something to work on, and that's definitely what you need to take your stuff to the next level.

The strings at 4:36 really strained for realism, to the point of being legitimately a weak moment. That said, the arrangement, structure and pacing were strong. Definitely enjoying this one, Ryan! Much like you, I'd love to hear this performed live.

YES

Fairly nice arrangement. The short usage of the main theme starting at 0:36 stuck out a bit to me, since the happy lilt of the melody is a odd contrast to the darkness and intensity of the rest of the track. That's a relatively minor nitpick, and the rest of the writing is spot on. I especially liked the second half, starting at about 3:07 or so, when it stops following Running Hell's structure and mixes things up.

The sequencing is definitely this mix's soft spot, especially those string articulations, but I've heard a lot worse. Otherwise, a job well done. Let's see if this gets posted before 2011!

YES