Cover- 'Sage Laruto,' The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Verifay

Hello there. Since I've never done any remixing before, it was suggested that I should start with something simple- a cover. I decided to cover 'Sage Laruto' from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

This is the source:

And this is my cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5pErhRgcyU

There's still a few things I want to tweak- namely, the transition between the first and second segments, adding dynamics and perhaps making it longer. The instruments might need some (major) changes, too. Are there any other aspects that I should look at? Thanks.

Hard to say what you should fix when we don't know what you're going for. I would focus on making sure there's a performance to the instruments, that they feel played by ppl and not just written (or played by bored ppl :P). It's also pretty short, close to the original, and doesn't seem to have much of an idea of where it's going. What do you wanna do with it? Where do you want it to go?

There's also that weird wind noise in the woodwind/bottle. It bothers me. Some amount of noise can be a good thing, but this seems excessive.

I was iffy on the noise myself; I'll take that out.

As for where I'm going with it... I really want to make something that tells a story. Like the story of Laruto, who did her duty to the gods until she was cut down by Jalhalla. Perhaps I could lead it into a rendition of the Earth God's Lyric, then fit in Jalhalla's theme somehow? It would need a lot of dynamics to sound like a story. I think that might work.

Are there any specific tips anyone could give me about doing something like that?