copyrights

so, i want to re-arrange a song by a Christian worship artist named Chris Tomlin. he's pretty popular among christian light rock nowadays. in order to publish the song, how do i go about getting copyright data - like, how do i make sure i don't get arrested? do i email the company, do i just distribute it freely...what do i do?

so, i want to re-arrange a song by a Christian worship artist named Chris Tomlin. he's pretty popular among christian light rock nowadays. in order to publish the song, how do i go about getting copyright data - like, how do i make sure i don't get arrested? do i email the company, do i just distribute it freely...what do i do?

In order to do a cover of a song, you want a compulsory mechanical license. When a copyrighted work is published - in this case, the song by Chris Tomlin - other people gain the right to distribute and reproduce the song also. You do NOT have to ask the artist for permission, in this case. However, if you plan on selling it, you need to compensate him 9.1 cents per record sale with the song on it. The details of this are something you need to research more (or talk to a lawyer about) but this would be the basic concept.

Now, if you DON'T plan on selling it, you need to write him a letter (not email) and get his written permission to cover the song and distribute the free cover.