how to lower loops and drums sounds?

Omega85

Hello Everyone,

it is good to be bussy again.

I have started building theme's from scratch but, I have a question considering edits and mixes.

What is the best way to lower the sounds such as loops, drum and bass within a song or theme? I know that it has to do with it's channels but, what is the best method for this?

example songs/themes I want to edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3fQVQJR1sM

A multiband compressor and a damn good one at that. Even then it won't sound great. if you have the money to burn:

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-mb-multiband-compressor-plug-in

BTW if you do want anything from Fabfilter I can get you 10% off as a current customer.

ALSO I have an idea how he does it but here is proof it can be done with certain songs depending on how they were originally composed:

Isolating Left and Right channels and/or Mid / Side parts of songs is where to start. Then careful phase version. All of the techniques and know how about exactly how to extract sounds can be complex.

Edited by avaris

It's not *impossible*, it's *really hard*.

haha, in other words, too hard without audio artifacts (afaik). :lol:

For example, kicks probably would line up with bass sounds in EQ. If you wanted to isolate a kick drum, you'd usually be considering around 20~200 Hz, midrange-ish, and around 4000 Hz for a more-or-less full result, but basses overlap the 20~200 Hz range, among other ranges, so getting rid of the bass to leave the kick, if the kick is never playing alone, would be hard without losing the low end thump on the kick; you'd generally be left with whatever's above 200 Hz, making it no longer low-end heavy unless you have your own kicks to layer in.

EDIT: And the reverse is also true for already-finished songs (as 1 stem); if you want to get rid of the drums with EQ instead of keeping them, you might get a thin/light bass sound in the end after getting rid of the kick, maybe a dull mix if you got rid of some hi hats, and maybe a slightly hollow mix as well from getting rid of the snare. But that's all with EQ, so maybe there's a better (but still not super effective) way. Depends on context.

Edited by timaeus222