*NO* RoboCop 3 'Title Theme'

djpretzel

Intro riff is pretty slick... production issues... feedback could be beneficial.

-djp

---

remixer name: Inrudiment

userid: 32551

name of game: Robocop 3
name of arrangement: Title Theme
name of individual song arranged: Title Theme
composer: Jeroen Tel
platform: NES, Commodore 64
original: 

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/02/28 - RoboCop 3 'Title Theme'

That's some solid metal performances goin' down, in this track. I'm not familiar with the source, but it actually sounds like quite the hidden gem. This arrangement does a great job covering the overall sound of the source, while playing with the leads from time to time. It's a pretty conservative arrangement, though - pretty damn close to the "too conservative" category, on OCR.

The overall mix tends to have the guitars all fighting for the front of the mix, when everything is playing at once. It's not absolutely terrible, but the issue is pretty consistently there. The leads should be clearly in front of the rhythm guitars, which at the moment are pretty loud in comparison to the rest of the mix. The master track could also use a touch of high EQs, as well, as the overall track sounds lacking in that department (Just a little, though - 0.25dB in the high range would cover it).

There's quite a few moments in the track where there's really no lead - just texture. While I think those are a nice way to break the music up in a sensible manner, those sections last a bit too long. 1:51 - 2:20, for example, could move to the next section effectively at 2:06. Nothing is really added to justify that second repetition; moments like that sound like padding to a track that's already at a reasonable length.

I like this, but little things here and there knock this down. I feel the arrangement could break away from the source just a little more, but more importantly the mix should be balanced so the rhythm guitar doesn't take up so much space, allowing the leads to push through. The repetitive sections that I mentioned should also be truncated - they do not add anything to the arrangement other than length. Tighten those issues up and resubmit - apparently, this game needs some representation on here, and this would be a great track to do so with.

NO

A really nice source tune to tackle. Style suits for the most part. Intro build up was decent. At 0:50 when your other elements come in, that's when you begin to experience problems. Things are a bit weird here - most parts are kind of audible but at the same time there are just so many things going at once looking for attention, with elements that should be regulated to the background sitting out front instead.

I think the bulk of the problems here can be alleviated by reducing the volume of the arpeggio and other non-essential parts. The leads that drop in from 1:21 do have presence and can be heard above the rest, but also drown out a lot of the underlaying elements - this is especially true from 2:21 - rebalancing your track levels should fix this naturally.

To the arrangement - your mix does verge on being cover like, playing most parts out in the same way the original does. It'd be beneficial if there was more you in this mix, more original interpretation of the source with some occasional extras thrown in. The drums play a fairly similar loop through most of the song with not much in the way of fills, I'd like to hear some more variation there.

I don't think you have any problems here that can't be fixed relatively easily. Your mixing levels are the first focus, once thats done some refinement to your arrangement is all thats needed. Give this another look.

NO

Robocop 3 main theme is certainly not a hidden gem, it's one of the most well-known and classic themes by Jeroen Tel for the commodore 64 (which is better sounding than the NES version, but the same arrangement). 

Regarding this mix, I loved that intro! although it's the same as the original I think that melody really fits a guitar solo.  I have to agree with the other Js that this remix is a borderline cover, the arrangement and structure are too similar to the original, and outside of the replacement of the original pulse waves for guitars, there's little new in here.  The riffing at 03:35 changes and some new elements are introduced that aren't taken from the original but I don't hear much interpretation outside of that.  Also the fadeout ending, although not something that would be a dealbreaker, is not ideal.

Regarding the mix I will have to agree with my peers on their comments as well, when the arpeggio, rhythm guitars and lead come together it sounds too busy and messy.  The c64-style arpeggio is a cool thing to have since it's pretty unique to compositions made by c64 artists but you have to remember it was their only option for representing chords, I think that in the busy sections you could do away with them and bring in some actual sustained pad/string chords which will probably alleviate the clashing of notes a lot, but you can keep it in sections where you want the reference to be heard.  Mix balance is something that could also be improved, and Jivemaster has some good advice on it.

I think the original is a natural fit for a rock-style arrangement due to the way the leads play, and the drums have that rock beat to them instead of something more electronic, but you have some work to do here, I would like to hear more interpretation and differences in structure with the original so it doesn't feel like it's walking down the same path, and a better balance in the mix so it has more clarity and the elements you want to be highlighted in each section ARE highlighted instead of everything fighting for the listener's attention.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* RoboCop 3 'Title Theme'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic