How to use a stereo enhancer

Heya, there is a stereo enhancer in the mastering suite of my DAW and I have some questions about that tool.

In the standard settings for example it sometimes flashing in the red area (area over 0 dB) but doesn't seem to influence the quality of the track.

So what does it mean when it flashes red a couple of times - do I have to put the faders of the stereo enhancer a lil bit down on the right and left side until it doesn't flash up during the whole song anymore or can I keep this as it is?

Furthermore the level of the stereo enhancer doesn't seem to interact with the master volume/master fader - but with the volume of the frequencies in the equalizer.

What's the reason for this - what does the "loudness" or the level of the stereo enhancer stand for?

It's just a stereo separation tool that twiddles with delay times to simulate wider stereo fields. The "loudness" or whatever is probably just volume. Nothing complicated. There should be some sort of info bar or tooltip window or something in your DAW that names your parameter...?

Edited by timaeus222

Couldn't even find a chapter of the Mastering Suite in the manual - just an explanation of the mixing & editing tools.

If if the level in the stereo enhancer is really the volume - it shouldn't go into the red area (over 0) in the whole track, right?

Couldn't even find a chapter of the Mastering Suite in the manual - just an explanation of the mixing & editing tools.

If if the level in the stereo enhancer is really the volume - it shouldn't go into the red area (over 0) in the whole track, right?

Well, what does the plugin look like? (You keep talking about your DAW, but you haven't said what the DAW is)

It looks like this (and yeah, it's flashing temporary a bit red like in this picture - I guess it's not okay, if it's the volume).

http://www.cornbay.info/images/meine_bilder/magix/music_maker_2013/grafik-490-zora-mastering-suite-4-int_118.jpg

It's the L/R volume balance, and Link makes their volume changes consistent. Pan direction appears to be the Stereo Offset, and the Stereo box is the Stereo Widening/Narrowing.

Yeah, but do I have to set the volume so that it doesn't get in the red area over 0 or is it just for the volume difference between left and right or is it some kind of a master volume although the master volume in the mixer is far below 0?

It's not a "master" volume since it's just in one single plugin. If it goes over 0dB, then supposedly it's a problem. If something you render has crackling from clipping while that is near 0dB, then yes, turn it down.