Mirage Coaster (Donkey Kong Country 2 - Disco Train Remix)

Lampje4life

Dear OCR,

Just came here to share my latest track.

It's a 'Retro Dance' Remix from DKC2's Disco Train.

Awesome source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzP3_9qqP3Y

Remix (Tindeck link):

http://tindeck.com/listen/ckfr

It's (nearly) done, but feedback is greatly appreciated!

Background info:

As a part time job, I work at a rollercoaster / theme park.

This one day I had to start quite early, was fun to see the rising sun behind the coaster. Because the theme park was built in a forest area, the early sun really gave the track something mystic imo.

That kinda got me inspired, lemme know if you can hear that in the final render!

Anyway, enjoy!

Listening on laptop speakers, so I might have missed stuff. I also only listened once. I'm tired.

Anyway, while it's not a requirement on ocr to use the entire source, I couldn't hear the bassline and aggressive synth anywhere in the remix. If you're looking for material to add, there's two good parts to use. imo the coolest parts of the source.

Source is there, with the blips in the intro and the lead melody used ostinato. Seems to rely on the lead melody to carry the track almost throughout, which gets dull after a while. The original saves that melody until later, giving the overall track a more clear progression despite the repetitive nature of the track, something your remix doesn't do. Turning the ending into something bigger, perhaps by adapting the melody or using another part of source, should solve that.

Can't talk much about production here, but it sounds ok. Synths are a bit vanilla, but not detractingly so. I think. Laptop speakers.

Nah, not finished yet. :P

I have to agree with Rozovian that the buildup here is on the weak side. You've got a lot of source material left to use (or, if you used it already, in a bigger, more grand way) to make sure this tracks springs out. It IS quite nice, though!

Just wondering: at which rollercoaster park do you work? Walibi?

I have to agree with Rozovian that the buildup here is on the weak side. You've got a lot of source material left to use (or, if you used it already, in a bigger, more grand way) to make sure this tracks springs out. It IS quite nice, though!

Just wondering: at which rollercoaster park do you work? Walibi?

Efteling ;)

Well one positive point: it doesn't convey an Efteling feeling, which, IMHO, would have been a pretty bad thing for this source material. And calling Efteling a rollercoaster park doesn't feel quite good, wouldn't you agree? ;)

As a side note... I just noticed that there isn't a real defined middle piece. You know, where the main instruments silence and where you start building up for a grand finale. Are you still going to return to this piece or not? It would be a shame not to, if you'd ask me...