OceansAndrew

RemixerName: katethegreat19

ID: 26717

Submission Info:

Game: Silent Hill 2

Name of Remix: Where the Demon Sleeps

Name of Game Track Arranged: Music Box

Comments:

A short vocal arrangement of the Music Box puzzle theme from Silent Hill 2 that I arranged a few years back. While the piano at the beginning seems sparse to me now, I'm still extremely happy with how creepy this track turned out to be and how nicely it came together. The violin and frame drum are real acoustic instruments, and the piano is just played on my keyboard. All vocals are mine. Hoping it meets standards, thanks for considering my submission!

• 4 weeks later...

Yay! I'm always happy to see another Katethegreat submission cross our panel :-) Admittedly I've had this one downloaded for a long time but haven't truly paid attention to it with any sort of critical ear, so let's see what we've got here...

This is a fairly minimalist arrangement, but given the brevity of the source I feel like you still managed to squeeze a lot of mileage out of your remix. At the end, I found myself still wanting more, perhaps some sort of reprise of one of your initial instruments/melodies. Still, I must say that you certainly make the most of the 2 minute runtime, and each individual instrument makes a memorable impression.

Honestly, not much to say here. This feels like a pretty easy call - while there's not really much melodic expansion going on with the Silent Hill melody itself, there's plenty of auxiliary melodies being added, and a great deal of personalization coming through the instrument choices and performance. Another lovely sub from Kate, keep throwing more stuff our way! :-)

YES

Melodically and structurally this doesn't veer at all from the source, but It really expands harmonically and tonally. The frame drum sounded like it was tuned to a different key to the song, which was a bit distracting, but it was pitched low enough to not sound super off.

I think the production is great and the mood set is excellent, and though the arrangement is a bit on the conservative, I think the feel and personalization help it skim the bar, barely. :-)

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

I was definitely worried from the piano intro that this might be too cover-ish, but once the vocals came in, everything checked out just fine with the interpretation level of the arrangement, IMO. Conservatively structured, but the personalization was apparent.

There's half a breath at :30 left in the main vocals before they actually start that sounds like it was left in there by mistake and sounded kind of sloppy.

The mixing took a strange turn at :54, where the vocals felt too quiet and the pizz strings sounded rather lo-fi. I appreciated the vocals panning from ear to ear though; it may have been a little too drastically panned IMO, but nothing that was a significant issue.

The vocals were more upfront at 1:24, sounding much cleaner like :31's section. The pizz strings and drums still sounded like they weren't part of the same soundscape. The mixing wasn't horrible, but something about it felt like the vocals, drums, and strings all were recorded with significantly different room ambiance, and just didn't sound quite cohesive together.

Someone can listen and better articulate what production issues there may or may not be, but obviously this gets much more right than it does wrong, and what doesn't quite click for me on the production side doesn't come close to dragging this down in a big way.

Very cool, very personalized approach to arranging this, Kate! Keep 'em coming!

YES