Skies of Arcadia-ValHorteka

It seems like it's been awhile since I last had a mix to post on these forums, so i thought I would post this one. This mix is a rather large milestone for me as not only did I actually finish something but I did it in about 1.5 weeks from start to finish which is a new record for me!

This is an updated remixing of my submission for June's Dwelling of Duels Town month. For this version I tried to mix around a fatter low mid range which seemed to be the strongest criticism.

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/garpocalypse/valhorteka7-2-12

Source:

Tools Used:

Steven Slate Drums

Ministry of Rock

Dimension Pro

Absynth

The Freaking Ocean

Bonus Points: To anyone who figures out where I got the Ocean sample from. How's that for difficult?

I'm thinking about making a more OCR friendly Horteka remix based off of the first minute of this mix. Any support? Or should i dumpster my gear already? :)

-gar

DISCLAIMER: I'm primarily a listener, not a remixer, so I can't give apt technical advice.

However, I really enjoyed listening to this one on DoD, and I would certainly discourage you from abandoning the project. I would certainly like to see where you can take this mix. Skies of Arcadia doesn't get enough love on OCR, and Horteka is one of the better songs from the game.

I'll definitely be following any improvements that you decide to make to the song (if you decide to pursue that path).

DISCLAIMER: I'm primarily a listener, not a remixer, so I can't give apt technical advice.

However, I really enjoyed listening to this one on DoD, and I would certainly discourage you from abandoning the project. I would certainly like to see where you can take this mix. Skies of Arcadia doesn't get enough love on OCR, and Horteka is one of the better songs from the game.

I'll definitely be following any improvements that you decide to make to the song (if you decide to pursue that path).

Thanks, looks like I finally have my first fan :)

Next step is getting some real guitars in there but even then I don't think this mix has much of a place here at OCR. (OCR Metal Movement anyone?)The Horteka theme is one of my favorites in a fantastic, overlooked ost and that makes me want to try to make another Horteka mix for OCR.

Criticism from non remixers is very valuable btw. Knowing what's going on production wise in a mix is alot like seeing the kitchen area of your favorite restaurant. Sometimes the less you know the better it is. :)

Guess who..:<

Quick tip: to make your mix louder, don't cut mids from all of your instruments. Some instruments "kinda" have no mids already(flute for example). Cutting low-mids/mids or even use hi-pass for such instrument can cause em thin and quiet. Cutting low-mids you cutting loudness in most cases(some instruments).

And don't boost highs too much(same result but from the other side).

Tip 2:

Rock Drums covering full freqs range in most cases.

Low/mid-highs for kick

low-mids/mids/mid-highs for snare

toms works in low/low-mids and highs

cymbals in highs/mid-highs(depends of what you want).

Also in rock-like things, entire mixture based on drums.

Rhythm guitar tone depends of drums, lead instruments depends of rhythms, accompaniment instruments depends of leads.. Weird? Maybe, but it works for me) What does it mean? Just be careful cutting drums in mids or boost em in highs. Highs will cutoff rest of freqs if you boost em to much.

Tip 3:

Rhythm guitar.. .. .. ..:-? My rhythms suck, so i just say, low-mids/mids in this exact case could work.(don't cut mids too much, don't boost mid-highs too much)

Overall it sounds like you cut ALL the mid range at master channel. Sounds pleasant for ears and relaxing as a result. Not sure that was intended:-)

Still, i'm not authority. Don't listen to me much:mrgreen:

Nice tune dude!

Guess who..:<

Quick tip: to make your mix louder, don't cut mids from all of your instruments. Some instruments "kinda" have no mids already(flute for example). Cutting low-mids/mids or even use hi-pass for such instrument can cause em thin and quiet. Cutting low-mids you cutting loudness in most cases(some instruments).

And don't boost highs too much(same result but from the other side).

I do have a habit of cutting around the 500hz range. In this case I was hoping it was going to leave rooms for the guitars.

Tip 2:

Rock Drums covering full freqs range in most cases.

Low/mid-highs for kick

low-mids/mids/mid-highs for snare

toms works in low/low-mids and highs

cymbals in highs/mid-highs(depends of what you want).

Also in rock-like things, entire mixture based on drums.

Rhythm guitar tone depends of drums, lead instruments depends of rhythms, accompaniment instruments depends of leads.. Weird? Maybe, but it works for me) What does it mean? Just be careful cutting drums in mids or boost em in highs. Highs will cutoff rest of freqs if you boost em to much.

To get the bass and the kick to work together i took a chunk out of the kick around 120+- i think and gave it a boost around 80. Then I bussed all of the drums and dropped it a few db at 500hz to clean it up. I'll take another look at the guitars and the drums i think that may be where i got off.

Tip 3:

Rhythm guitar.. .. .. ..:-? My rhythms suck, so i just say, low-mids/mids in this exact case could work.(don't cut mids too much, don't boost mid-highs too much)

Overall it sounds like you cut ALL the mid range at master channel. Sounds pleasant for ears and relaxing as a result. Not sure that was intended:-)

More or less :) I did cut the lower mids on the master for the competition but on this one i gave them a slight 4db boost with a multiband. At the same time i'm still working on figuring out when you need to adjust the multi over the eq and vice versa.

Still, i'm not authority. Don't listen to me much:mrgreen:

Nice tune dude!

Thanks for the crits as always.