OCR02548 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA) 'Sea Breeze Concerto'

Liontamer

This was a flood candidate for the DKC3 album chosen by Emu, and previously marked DP in the submissions inbox. Great track in a vacuum, but the structure's very close to the source. Is the arrangement too straightforward/conservative, or is it expansive/personalized enough to stand apart from the original?

Please don't rush a vote just to make one, but try to vote ASAP. - LT

Monkey Kong, David Wise

Daniel Rosenqvist, Anton Dromberg, Lucas Grönlund, Axel Johansson, Anton Fluch and David Wise

danielrosenqvisten@hotmail.com

www.myspace.com/monkeykong

Monkey Kong userid: 5179

Sea Breeze Concerto

ARRANGED BY: Monkey Kong

PERFORMED BY: Monkey Kong feat. David Wise

Stilt Village (Game Boy Advance)

Daniel Rosenqvist of Monkey Kong: In spring last year, I got a mail from Emu asking us to be a part of the DKC3 album. Although the time wasn't optimal for us with school graduation, concerts and, of course, rehearsing for our pre-show gig at the Stockholm Concert Hall for Distant Worlds II, there really was no way for me (being such an OC ReMix fan) to turn down on this! I knew the process was gonna be long -- getting up the energy in the band, finding time to practice, jam it (A LOT of jamming, actually), arranging, recording, mixing, mastering, and so on. But to now come out in the other end and see the result is gratifying.

This could not be done without David Wise. I would like to thank him from the bottom of my heart for all the love he's put in to both his playing and also in mixing and mastering. I've learned so much from this Dave, thank you!! This song is for you, the OC ReMix staff and, of course, every video game music lover that understands why it's the ultimate art form!

I'm very pleased to give you the "Sea Breeze Concerto!"

(first 20 seconds of source is ocean SFX)

It's a conservative arrangement to be sure, but I think there's a lot of personalization in the performance and we get some really great improv bits in the second-half.

I think you made the case quickly, but said what needed to be said pretty well. I lean toward allowing more structurally conservative arrangements if a live performance is personalized enough, but in this case, the first half, while somewhat personalized is still structured verbatim with the original, so I felt it was important the panel vet it. And for you folks reading, we can and have posted structurally conservative arrangements, but artists need to compensate for that in other ways, and I agree with DS's POV that the second half does that.

There was some subtle but good additive background writing in the first half, particularly the drums. The guitar performances also added a little bit of subtle personalization; not anything that put it over the top, but it was an understated highlight when comparing its sound to the original. The second half of the mix, with everything that happened after 2:33, was enough to put it over the top for me.

2:40's original section provided some a great dynamic change, and the rebuild at 3:10 to transition into the next solo was nice. David Wise's sax solo 3:29-3:51 on top of the source's bassline, followed by the amazing synth soloing on top of the arranged source from 3:55 until the end were both huge and helped end this strongly and present nothing but original material and interpretation for the last few minutes. Whoever in the band thought of including the DKC1 fanfare at the finish is my boy; clever integration of that for a nostalgic and fun finish. Nice work, and a pleasure to have David supporting the OCR's community's efforts once again. :-)

YES

ah cool, I remember hearing this one way back when it was first finished. definitely a pretty darn conservative piece starting off, but it really spreads its wings a bit as the song develops, and there were a lot of really nice embellishments throughout. not to mention some damn fine performances by both M.K. and Mr. Wise. highly enjoyable. :)

YES

I have to say, this one was a stand out for me when I heard it. Great track. However, I'm having a harder time with this one than my fellow judges. It basically follows the source to a tee up until 2:40. Yes there are some nice performances, and there is some nice little updates in the backing instrumentation that wasn't in the original source tune. However, everything that was originally in the source remains unchanged at this point minus a few chord differences, which aren't even drastic enough to be noticed by most. I'd call them more "add ons" to whats established in the source rather than variations. Then of course, the solos come in and the connections to the source dwindle until the riff comes in before that wicked synth solo. Yes I do hear some nice variation points here, like in the bass, but I don't feel this is enough. Cover + variation in backing elements over solos doesn't equal enough to me to pass this. Its a great song, and the production is awesome, but I don't feel the arrangement is varied enough for the pass. You guys are going to hate me for this, but I can't pass on it.

Sorry dudes, great remix, but I just don't feel this is right for OCR :(

NO

Surprisingly had little problem with this. I liked the subtle additional backing elements while keeping the melody intact, it's an approach I have taken before, though admittedly it's pretty conservative. The second half is quite creative and involves the source, so that it doesn't just feel like a cover + an original section smooshed together. I can see Will's POV on this but I don't agree with it. Plus, slick performances abound. The way the sax solo bursts through the door is fabulous, the icing on the cake. Happy to pass this.

YES