eJamming

The Pezman

I was quite pleased when JamSpace revealed to me that we have a good number of musicians who actually enjoy playing with other people, not just recording or sequencing their own stuff. However, I lamented the fact that we wouldn't be able to practice before next MAG, and then I dimly remembered running into something which claimed to remedy this before. I returned to its site to refresh myself. It looks too good to be true, and perhaps it is. At this point I really couldn't tell you. But the fact that they're still around seems to indicate that they've had at least some success in their stated goal: for musicians to collaborate and record live through the Internet with little or no latency.

It's still in beta, so you can currently download it for free. I did so, but because I'm on wireless I don't have a fast enough connection to try it out. So I want to throw it out there to those of you with more pimp setups than myself who would actually have a chance of this thing working. If it functions even half as well as they claim I think we really might have something here that could change the nature of musicianship, to say nothing of OCR.

My mom's cousin actually had some part in making this happen (though I'm not sure exactly what he did), and he wanted me to check out the beta. I didn't mess around with it for too long, but it seems pretty cool. MIDI does have a little lag though, but playing live instruments is supposedly good.

I'd like to offer an alternative; REAPER has a really awesome native VST called NinJam, which is basically a VST that opens a chatroom where your input gets routed to. I think they even found some way to solve the natural latency by quantizing the sounds to a certain tempo. I've already tried this out in a little jam with DBS, and it honestly is quite fun, if a little awkward at first. It should thus fix most internet/soundcard latency issues, so you should definitely try that out if you think latency is an impediment. Also, it's completely free, and even if you don't want it, download REAPER, because it's an awesome DAW.

I was actually hoping more people would pick this up, so I can jam with them too :D