I started a blog for sharing vg soundtracks

bucky o'hare

http://explod.tumblr.com/

You can read the first post for more information, but I plan on uploading 4 soundtracks every week, by monday or tuesday. I also include various tidbits and mini-reviews for each soundtrack, hopefully to add some life to whatever it is I'm sharing.

today I added almana no kiseki (nes), crisis force (nes), treasure master (nes), and zillion (sms). check it out!

Noting that Tim's brother Geoff Follin composed the Tom & Jerry soundtrack mentioned in the article. Treasure Master is always a good choice. kingshriek's version of the NSF features two tracks that were missing from the more widely distributed NSF.

I remember me and djp trying to figure out if the Zillion game was developed before/concurrently or after the anime series; if it was after, we'd have to pull the Zillion mixes, since they'd really be anime mixes, with most of the themes from the game being adaptations of the anime soundtrack.

Oh wow, huge thanks man! I'll make the appropriate edits to the article. The version of treasure master I grabbed had the same amount of tracks, it's possible that akumu used kingshriek's version in his archive.

I believe Zillion was made concurrently, but I could be wrong. Which is why I vaguely referred to it as a "companion". :) I love the anime version with the vocals-- I didn't hear it for a while until I was already familiar with the chiptune.

Interesting and all, but make sure to observe copyright laws so you don't get in any unnecessary legal trouble.

Thanks guys, but I imagine I'll remain under the radar with this stuff. There are massive archives full of ripped soundtracks (like zophar, snes music, and project 2616, just to name a few) that make this stuff readily available, out in the open. Until I hear horror stories of nsf archives getting ceast and desists, I'm assuming my little blog will be unnoticed.

Oh wow' date=' huge thanks man! I'll make the appropriate edits to the article. The version of treasure master I grabbed had the same amount of tracks, it's possible that akumu used kingshriek's version in his archive.

I believe Zillion was made concurrently, but I could be wrong. Which is why I vaguely referred to it as a "companion". :) I love the anime version with the vocals-- I didn't hear it for a while until I was already familiar with the chiptune.

Thanks guys, but I imagine I'll remain under the radar with this stuff. There are massive archives full of ripped soundtracks (like zophar, snes music, and project 2616, just to name a few) that make this stuff readily available, out in the open. Until I hear horror stories of nsf archives getting ceast and desists, I'm assuming my little blog will be unnoticed.

I thought we were talking about soundtracks in general, my fault for not reading the first blog post. In the words of Monty Python: GET ON WITH IT!

Excellent set of games to start off with, I have to say. Even picked one I've never heard of before (Almana no Kiseki).

If you'd like some track names for the seven-track Treasure Master NSF, these are taken from in game and the manual:

1: Title

2: World 3 / Microchip (World 5)

3: The Moon (World 2)

4: The Islands (World 1)

5: Prize World (World 6)

6: World 4

7: World Complete

Dead sexy music, that.

Also, I too was under the impression that the Zillion anime and game were made concurrently. The game was released a month after the first episode aired, which is far too short for a cartridge game to be developed and published, so it has to have been planned and started some time before airing. Plus, the Zillion guns in the anime are HI-TECH versions of the Light Phaser, which came out before both the game and anime, and Opa-Opa was a character, so the anime was clearly developed with Sega in mind.

Weird, somehow when I first opened liontamer's linked nsf I thought it turned out the same as the one I had. But now those two tracks decided to show themselves! I'll add those in and retag everything. Thanks a lot!

The bird chirping part in world 4's music is incredible.

I just added another soundtrack and commenting.

I'm actually in the middle of a tremendous adventure on this sort of thing: my entire music collection is being ripped, tagged, flac'ed and mp3'ed, and the video game music part of it is by far the most difficult, because I have to tag these files with the correct information. There is no consistency whatsoever with the stuff that's professionally released, and to make it worse, I'm into some pretty obscure stuff. 75% of it (or not; who knows?) is officially "untitled," and I can't have that. The last thing I want to do nowadays is give a best guess on a song title and then present it to everyone as official. I did that with some of my MIDIs, but I'm gonna change all that too once my research is done. Unfortunately, the game music field is driven by composers and not artists, and even though they deserve front-and-center credit, I can't bring myself to place these composers' names into the "artist" tag. They're just not the artists. Chiptunes and such from the 16-bit era on back don't really have artists; one solution is to just place the console name in the artist tag, and technically it's correct: the console "performs" the song. It also works out because you can categorize Genesis, SNES, et al. music together, and because plenty of games get cross-platform releases and it helps to differentiate (e.g., SNES Cool Spot and Genesis Cool Spot). I actually have a set of rules in order to maintain consistency for titles and artists, and most titles must include "BGM" in capital letters to indicate that it's unofficial. There's so much I haven't even covered yet (I haven't even touched on stuff like mastering, and how I intend to rip older music the old-fashioned way: RCA cables, because as good as emulators have gotten, they're still not exact); one of the reasons for wanting to come to MAGFest is so I can talk to Larry at length about this and exchange ideas and suggestions. I'm as anal as it gets with this.

I thought of ways to share this quest, because I think this could benefit a lot of us. I don't think I could find the time and effort to manage a blog, and especially find the time and effort to offer my collection when it's completed, but maybe this one could work. I'll follow developments here. I'm leaning toward a thread or three here, and perhaps at gamingforce and vgmdb, to chronicle what I've been doing and what I will do. Stay tuned.

Woah, way cool!

I can't bring myself to place these composers' names into the "artist" tag.

Here, here!

I migh adopt some of your tagging methods. I'm a fan of my current set up, using "VG Music" as the artist and the console as part of the album name. But in regards to songs with "official" titles, I fully agree. It'd be nice to clarify when songs are named on a best assumption (world 1, world 2, etc), vs. when the names are official. I know all the song names for Ninja Gaiden 2 are correct because they are taken from the soundtest.

It's nice to see we have very similar ideas and concerns, although I'd feel completely overwhelmed by trying to rip an entire collection, including flac, and having mastering down to a universal plan like yourself. I can be quite anal, but it looks like you've outdone me there. :) Which is why I'm doing these more as 'random favorites', so I can get away with doing things more casually in a 'as they come' kind of way.

This is unrelated to vgmusic, but you may be interested in another blog post of mine here. Archive is a place for uploading music you own or have permission to put up, so I don't think vg music qualifies, but if you're not already into archive.org I suggest checking it out-- if there's anything in your collection you want to preserve, that would be the place to do it.

The extra channel to the Zelda main theme is definitely worth hearing if anyone hasn't before. Both Zelda and Metroid are much more interesting with the extra definition to the sound effects (Link's sword beam especially comes to mind, as does the tune that plays when Samus collects an item).

Thanks a bunch for the update notice -- keep up the good work!