XP32 -> XP64 plunge; known compatibility issues?

zircon

I've scanned the web but it's hard to find an inclusive, up-to-date list of software NOT known to be compatible with Windows XP 64-bit. I am interested in upgrading so that my music software can access more RAM but need to know that my stuff will work properly.

I'm mainly interested in the compatibility of music software and common task software such as Filezilla, uTorrent, Thunderbird, Firefox, MS Office 2003, and so on. Any info at all would be appreciated on what does and does not work (primarily what doesn't.)

Prepare to be disappointed. XP64 is literally a driver dead end, since anyone who makes 64bit drivers makes them for Vista64bit, since it takes priority. I am 99% sure that Firefox, utorrent, Filezilla, and other basic programs all have 64bit versions, but major audio programs I am not so sure about.

How much RAM do you have? If you only have 4 gigs, its really not worth the trouble.

It's not really a dead end, actually. Many professionals I know already use XP64. Developers don't really treat it as a dead-end because Vista sucks so hard. My audio interface, all Native Instruments products, and my Korg X-50, among other things, all definitely work w/ XP64 from what I've found. But there's more stuff out there I would want to be sure of.

I have 2GB of RAM currently- if I went to XP64 I would upgrade to 6.

If you feel that you can get it to work, by all means go ahead. Like I said, I believe all major programs have 64bit versions at the ready.

Most of the flack that 64bit OSses get nowadays comes from the abundance of programs that do not have 64bit versions, so be prepared to sacrifice some functionality in that regard.

Also, Vista isn't that horrible. Its just that most people (myself included, for my desktop anyway) don't see any reason to spend hundreds to upgrade, so the adoption rate has been slow, so driver development has been slow, so people think it sucks. You can see the vicious cycle.

I don't think you need to access any more RAM :P

How else will he get the 1.21 Gigasamples he needs to travel back in time?

Anyway, here's a list I Googled in 1.21 seconds. It's old, but all the apps you mentioned are listed there and should work assuming they didn't remove x64 compatibility at some point since then.

For any other apps and music software, you'll most likely have to look at each of their sites and see if they mention anything about 64-bit builds or compatibility (for example, Cakewalk actually brags about 64-bit SONAR). You might have to rummage around their forums as well. Alternatively, you could just post a thread in your local audio forum (after searching first of course), as I'm sure many others have dealt with the same issue (like these people and this other guy).

Also, I believe XP x64 has a 32-bit compatibility mode, so at worst you'd have to use that for certain programs.

Good luck.