*NO* Zanac 'Emulated'

Liontamer

Actually a new version of his 2002 ReMix - LT

hey there, its been a LOOONG time since I've submitted anything... I Submitted way back..the GOLDEN AXE 2002 remix, and NINJA GAIDEN " emulated", I hope u guys like this NEW mix from an old game for the NES.. take care

---------------------------------------------------------------

Though your handle is Emulator and you're trying to brand your mixes in a way, I wouldn't name everything "Emulated"; it's gets boring. I'd suggest naming your arrangements something unique that incorporates the word "Emulated" in there if you want. With this game for example, you could do something like "Riot Fleet Emulated" or "Emulated A.I." No big deal, but I figured I'd mention it.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zanac.zip - Track 30

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00571/ - Zanac 'X-Mix'

Starting things off, this was a good sound upgrade compared to the earlier ReMix. Definitely more complexity here, with better beats, new writing underneath the melody, and a new, lengthier breakdown section.

It changed up into a more beat-driven take on the source at 1:03. There, the synth design could have been more unique. Back into the stuff from the first iteration at 1:31.

Ooh, poor changeup at 1:58. The beat pattern changed too abruptly. The production also took a weird turn where the beats and synths suddenly sounded squeaky clean and a lot thinner/flimsier after the prior sections which had a lot of delay effects and pads involved to fill out the soundscape. You've gotta smooth out the changing of the beat rhythm and the textures, otherwise it sounds jarring. You thought it through better from 2:51-2:54, moving back into the thicker textures; definitely stronger execution there.

Arrangement-wise, I think this stands apart enough from the original ReMix, where I wouldn't have a problem passing this as well. To me, it's substantively different enough, noting Section 6, Part 5 of the Standards.

But I think this needs some production love to get this in a lot better shape. Putting more meat on the 1:58-2:51 section and getting more creative with the core beats and lead synth sound would help this in a major way. Doing that and fixing up that awkward transition at 1:58 would really put this over the top and have everything clicking right. Definitely touch this up for the victory.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Had no problems with this sounding too much like the 2002 version. Different structure, different parts. I think the melody is the only idea that is carried over.

The intro is really promising, with a cool mix of pads and synths. The lead there sounds a little static, and might have benefitted from some more movement, but no real problems. 1:03 was the point where this started to go wrong for me. The lead synth there - actually the whole soundscape - is thin, and pretty much holds at that level for the rest of the mix. This to me is the big problem; it never reaches the energy level you'd expect it to. More parts in the simpler sections like 1:03, and fuller, louder leads would make this one a lot stronger.

I really liked the idea of the beat switch, but Larry's right that it wasn't a smooth transition. Could have used more foreshadowing. The transition back to the main beat at 2:53 worked much better. On a slightly related note, the cymbals sounded dry and floated on top of things. That doesn't help the transitions.

This one's close. The arrangement isn't terribly innovative, but your production shows a lot of effort and detail. Close up the problem areas and this one is good.

NO (resubmit)

Gotta agree; this needs to have a meatier sound. Vinnie is right; the whole soundscape is thin; you need to have more than just a gated lead, pads, and oompah bassline. I don't think the transition to the breakdown section was too bad, except that once the breakdown starts, things get THINNER sounding. The percussion sounds like it's run through a hi-pass filter at points.

Needs work. nO